The Augustinian priory was converted into a house by the Fowkes family in the early seventeenth century. It was altered by Lord Fairhaven in 1926 who also recreated the gardens. There are herbaceous borders, a Rose Garden, Dahlia Garden, Formal Garden and pleasure grounds; Lord Fairhaven died in 1966 and left the property to the National Trust.
The gravelled surface in the car park and around the entrance to the garden can be difficult for wheelchair users and makes access difficult. Please drive up to the entrance of the garden to unload wheelchairs. The garden does contain many changes of level but wheelchair users with some mobility will be able to access about a third of the garden. A map showing the easiest route is available free of charge at the entrance.