Robert de Todeni began building the first Castle here in 1067 having been given land by William the Conqueror. By the Wars of the Roses, the Castle was in ruins and was rebuilt by Sir Thomas Manners at the beginning of the sixteenth century. The 8th Earl of Rutland, commissioned John Webb to design a third castle in 1668 but this was replaced by a fourth castle in 1832. Designed by James Wyatt, it was built for the 5th Duke of Rutland. Original garden plans by Lancelot Brown and by Harold Peto have recently been discovered and this has led to a series of restoration projects. The gardens can be enjoyed through a series of walks: the Spiral Walk, the Rose Garden Walk, the Japanese Woodland Walk, the Duchess Garden Walk, the Hermit’s Garden Walk, the Duke’s Walk and the Frog Hollow.
As the Castle is on a hill, the surrounding land falls away and therefore wheelchair access is not particularly easy but you can certainly get into the Rose garden and the views from there are wonderful.