After the Dissolution of the Monasteries, Beningbrough was sold to John Banister who gave it to his nephew Ralph Bourchier in 1556. John Bourchier built the current house in 1716; the build was overseen by William Thornton although the architect is not known. It remained in the Bourchier family until 1827 when the estate was left to a distant relative Rev William Henry Dawnay, the future 6th Viscount Downe. He commissioned William Sawrey Gilpin to draw up some plans for the garden although few of his ideas were implemented. After Beningbrough was inherited by Dawnay’s second son, the property was neglected until it was rescued by Lord and Lady Chesterfield in 1916; they carried out an extensive restoration project. The estate was accepted in lieu of death duties by the National Trust after Lady Chesterfield’s death in 1957. The garden includes an Italianate garden, wilderness, herbaceous borders, pergola, formal gardens and the restored walled garden.