John Churchill, 1st Duke of Marlborough was given the Royal Manor of Woodstock by Queen Anne in 1705 in gratitude for defeating the French at the Battle of Blenheim. Sir John Vanbrugh and his assistant Nicholas Hawksmoor were appointed as architects while Henry Wise designed the garden. In 1764, Lancelot Brown was appointed to landscape the park and at the end of the nineteenth century, the 9th Duke carried out an extensive restoration programme. The estate is still owned by the Dukes of Marlborough. The gardens include the Italian Garden, Water Terraces, lake, cascade, wooded pleasure grounds, temples and parkland. It is a World Heritage Site.
Wheelchair users must always contact Blenheim by email or telephone before visiting.
Step free access to Formal gardens route please follow the step-free signs via the Fisherman’s gate you will need to ask a member of staff for the code and a map. Approximately 20-minute walk from the step-free access gate on gravel paths. Garden benches are scattered through the garden. Please note the Water Terrace includes many steps. to the view this area please go via the Water Terrace Cafe