Brodsworth Hall was bought at the end of the eighteenth century by Peter Thellusson and after a long legal battle was inherited by his grandson Charles Sabine Thelluson. Charles demolished the Georgian house and began work on a new house which was designed by Chevalier Casentini and executed by the architect Philip Wilkinson. The house and gardens were completed by 1870. After remaining in the family, Mrs Williams gave the house and gardens to English Heritage in 1990. The gardens have changed little since they were laid out and include Italian Garden, grotto, rose garden, the Shrubbery, flower garden, tunnels, bridges, the Grove, Doric Temple, Target House and kitchen garden.