In the early eighteenth century, Hugh Fortescue, 1st Baron Clinton asked Lord Burlington and the Earl of Pembroke for their advice on rebuilding a late Tudor house. Roger Morris was chosen as architect but the house had to be substantially rebuilt following a fire in 1934. To the south of the house are the nineteenth century formal gardens with fountains, grass terraces and Greek temples while dotted around the estate are several eighteenth century buildings including Sybils’ Cave, the Satyr’s Temple, the Ugly Bridge, the Sham Castle and the Triumphal Arch; Ebrington Tower was built by Lady Margaret Fortescue in 1992 on the site of the former Sham village in memory of her only brother, Viscount Ebrington who was killed at the Battle of El Alamein. The house is now lived in by Eleanor, Countess of Arran, granddaughter of 6th Earl Fortescue
Access to the formal gardens and terraced lawns in front of the house as well as the riverside walk is possible for visitors in wheelchairs or with limited mobility. There are gravel paths that can prove a problem for some wheelchairs, and some of the woodland gardens and hilltop castle are only accessible by steep paths.