The estate was bought by the Howard family in 1571 and in 1698, Charles Howard commissioned William Talman to design plans for a new house. Talman’s ideas were rejected and a year later, Sir John Vanbrugh was appointed. Vanbrugh worked at Castle Howard until his death in 1726 after which his pupil Nicholas Hawksmoor continued the project. In 1850 W A Nesfield updated the south parterre, created the cascade at the South Lake and installed the Atlas Fountain; the parterre proved too expensive to maintain and was replaced by a grass terrace and yew hedges in 1890s. The gardens include formal gardens, pleasure grounds, extensive woodland walks, statues, temples, follies and over 1000 acres of parkland.