Home to the Cavendish family since 1549, a ‘new’ house was built by Bess of Hardwick in 1552. She also created the garden which was further developed by Humphry Repton in the eighteenth century and again by Joseph Paxton in the nineteenth. There are numerous highlights in the garden including early features such as the Canal Pond, Cascade and 1st Duke’s greenhouse. The estate is managed by the trustees of the Chatsworth Settlement who lease the house to the Chatsworth House Trust.
Chatsworth lies to the east of the River Derwent on rising ground near Bakewell. The estate was bought for £600 in 1549 by Sir William Cavendish after his marriage to Bess of Hardwick [see Hardwick Hall]. MORE >