Glorious Gardens Leading Down to the River Thames

According to William Waldorf Astor’s The Historical Descent of Cliveden, in 1237 the land was owned by Geoffrey de Clivvden and was inherited by his son William in 1300. By 1569, a house had been built by Sir Henry Manfield and by 1666, Cliveden was in possession of George Villiers, later Duke of Buckingham. MORE >