The Mallory family lived at Studley for over two hundred years and in 1667, Mary Mallory married George Aislabie. Their son John inherited the estate in 1693 and becoming Chancellor of the Exchequer in 1718. Two years later, John Aislabie was expelled from Parliament for his involvement in the financial scandal of the South Sea Bubble and returned to Yorkshire where he began creating the water garden. His son William took over the project in 1742, rebuilding the house, adding the Chinese garden and in 1767 William bought the ruin of Fountains Abbey to complete the site. The water gardens have changed little since William’s death in 1781. Walk from the ruins along the River Skell to the water garden which include canals, cascades, statues and ponds as well as ‘The Surprise View’ with the Abbey ruins in the distance. It was made a UNESCO site in 1986.