The gardens were created in harmony with the house and are divided into different areas.
Look out for the Great Court dominated by giant yew pyramids, the Corona and the Private Garden with its central canal.
Later additions include the White and Rose Garden, the octagonal Cloister Garden and the Lime Walk.
The gardens are sometimes closed on a Saturday.
Historic Houses members visit for free.
The Great Hall was built in 1485 by Sir William Martyn. Athelhampton remained in the Martyn family until the end of the 16th century when it was divided up and sold. In 1891, Alfred Cart de Lafontaine bought the estate and began the restoration of the house and garden.
De Lafontaine commissioned Francis Inigo Thomas to create the garden to the south of the hall. Rejecting the open approach of landscape gardening, Inigo Jones followed the principles laid out in The Formal Garden by Sir Reginald Blomfield: ‘The formal treatment of gardens ought, perhaps, to be called the architectural treatment of gardens, for it consists in the extension fo the principles of design which govern the house to the grounds which surround it.’
Sir Robert Cook bought Athelhampton in 1957. Seeking the advice of Sir Harold Hillier, further additions were made including the White and Rose Garden.
Athelhampton was sold in 2019 to Mr Giles Keating who has made further changes to the garden.