Wander around the gardens which include the Italian Garden, lake, cascade, Ionic Temple, Obelisk, avenues and Wilderness.
The gardens were laid out in 18th century by Richard Boyle, 3rd Earl of Burlington with advice from his friend and artist, William Kent. This marked the beginning of Kent’s career as a landscape designer. Kent swept away the 17th century formal gardens, turning the landscape into the pastoral bliss advocated by Alexander Pope.
The Car Park is small so be patient.
The gardens are open every day and are free to enter. They get busy at weekends.
Sir Edward Seymore built Chiswick House c1610. The estate was sold to the 1st Earl of Burlington in 1682 and in 1733, Richard Boyle, 3rd Earl of Burlington commissioned Colen Campbell to design a new Palladian Villa. It was linked to the old house by a gallery.
The Earl died in 1753 and Chiswick was inherited by his daughter Charlotte, wife of the Marquess of Hartington, later the 4th Duke of Devonshire. Their son, the 5th Duke made major changes to the estate. He built the stone bridge over the lake, planted the Rose Garden below the Doric Column and in 1788 demolished the Jacobean house.
The 6th Duke introduced a menagerie of exotic animals to Chiswick and built the Conservatory for his large collection of camellias. The Duke also commissioned the Italian Garden.
The house was leased to the Tuke brothers in 1890s who turned Chiswick into a private asylum.
Since 1984, English Heritage with the Chiswick House and Gardens Trust have completed the major restoration of the gardens.