Explore the landscape created by Sir John Vanbrugh, Charles Bridgeman, William Kent and ‘Capability’ Brown.
Enjoy the views over the lake from the top of the turf amphitheatre.
Stroll round the Camellia Terrace. The National Trust has been moving camellias from the collection at Chiswick to Claremont – they believe that the camellias originated from the same nursery in the early 1800s.
Dogs are allowed on leads from 1st October until 30th April but not at other times.
National Trust members visit for free.
In 1711, Thomas Pelham-Holler commissioned Vanbrugh to enlarge the house which Vanbrugh had originally built for himself. Vanbrugh also created the Belvedere.
The gardens were laid out by Vanbrugh and Charles Bridgeman who designed the grass amphitheatre, pond and paths.
William Kent c1734, was asked by Lord Clare to extend and naturalise the gardens by transforming the pond into an irregular lake, creating serpentine paths and planting trees.
In 1769 the estate was sold to Lord Clive of India who demolished the original house and commissioned Henry Holland and ‘Capability’ Brown to design a new building in a more elevated position. Brown also laid out the parkland and planted many trees.
Clive died in 1774 and the estate passed through several hands until 1816 when it was bought by the Commissioners of Woods and Forests for Princess Charlotte of Wales and Prince Leopold of Saxe-Coburg.
Princess Charlotte died later that year but Prince Leopold continued to live at Claremont. He employed J W Hiort to update the gardens and John Papworth and Augustus Pugin to build the Tea House, later the Mausoleum, and the Camellia House.
In 1866 Queen Victoria bought an interest in the estate and in 1882, her youngest son, the Duke of Albany and his new bride, Princess Helena of Waldeck and Pyrmont moved into Claremont.
In the early 20th century, large parts of the park were sold off for housing.
The house is now Claremont Fan Court School while the National Trust manage the forty-nine acres of landscape garden.