Rescued from almost total oblivion, the National Trust has carried out an extensive restoration project.
Enjoy exploring the landscape with its wildflower meadows, bridges, statues and numerous garden buildings including the Temple Greenhouse, Rotunda and Grotto.
Fabulous views over the Malvern Hills.
National Trust members visit for free.
The Coventry family became established in Worcestershire in the late C16, and were created earls in 1697.
The 6th Earl of Coventry inherited Croome in 1751. Coventry appointed ‘Capability’ Brown with advice from Sanderson Miller to design a house on the site of the family’s earlier home. Brown also created the park ‘out of a morass’.
James Wyatt was commissioned by the Earl to build several follies around the estate including Broadway Tower, the sham Gothic ruin of Pirton Castle and the Panorama Tower.
By 20th century, the landscape was neglected and in 1948 when the Croome Estate Trust sold the house and almost all of its furnishings.
Croome Court first became a boys’ school and then between 1979 and 1984, it was the headquarters for the International Society for Krishna Consciousness.
After 1984, the estate passed through several hands until 2007 when the estate was bought by the Croome Heritage Trust. They lease the estate to the National Trust.