The King’s Garden has recently been restored and is filled with roses and lavender.
Three of the original nine square compartments can be seen in the Side Garden. Separated by cross-walks, they have been planted with pollinator friendly plants.
Other features include the Orchard, Paddock and Cider Press.
The National Trust is continuing the work.
By 1535, the house had been rebuilt by Thomas Godolphin. Like many Cornish families, the Godolphins made their money through tin mining.
Sir Francis Godolphin created the garden in the 16th century and it bears many similarities to the gardens created for his close correspondent Lord Burghley at Theobalds in Hertfordshire. The Side Garden closely resembles the Great Garden at Theobalds while the King’s Garden is a smaller version of Burghley’s Privy Garden.
A letter of 1690 from Francis Godolphin to John Evelyn, writer, gardener and diarist, describes the house and garden: ‘Tis a large old house built of stone the front upon Pillers with flat Arches…[an] abundance of trees about it and a great deal of garden not walled but fenced with Hedges’.
Lady Mary Godolphin married the Duke of Leeds and inherited the estate in 1766 on the death of her father. The Dukes of Leeds rarely visited Godolphin and the land was managed by tenant farmers.
The Schofield family bought Godolphin in 1920s by which time the house and garden were in ruins. They began the restoration project and sold the property to the National Trust in 2007.