The remarkable Bess of Hardwick built the house and created the gardens in the 16th century. The layout of the gardens with their walled enclosures have changed little since the 17th century.
Enter the gardens from the West Court into the walled compartment which is divided into quarters and edged with yew and hornbeam hedges. Enjoy the South Border, the Orchard and the Herb Garden which grows both culinary and medicinal herbs. The Stumpery is at the south-west corner of the Herb Garden while to the south-east is a pavilion similar to those in the West Court.
The house was given to the National Trust by the Devonshires in 1950.
Dogs are allowed in the Park.
National Trust members visit for free.