Walk through the woods to the beautiful Walled Garden with its borrowed landscape.
The parterre in front of the house leads to the Rose Garden and surrounding woodland.
If you have time, walk through the woods to The Monument, 1.5km south-west of the house. It was erected by Mary-Anne Disraeli in memory of her husband’s father, Isaac and can be glimpsed from various parts of the garden.
National Trust members visit for free.
In the 16th century the manor was owned by the Dormers of Wing and West Wycombe. It was bought by the Savages in 1737 who extended the existing farmhouse.
It remained in their family until 1848 when it was bought by the author and politician Benjamin Disraeli. Disraeli received help from his political sponsor and Tory leader, Lord Bentinck.
Politics in the early 19th century were dominated by the aristocracy but despite his Jewish origins, Disraeli became Tory MP in 1837 and Prime Minister twice. Lord Byron was his idol and although not a country squire, Disraeli loved the woods surrounding Hughenden. Disraeli formed a close relationship with Queen Victoria – she visited the estate in 1877.
Disraeli’s beloved wife Mary Anne laid out the formal gardens. Disraeli wrote in 1863: ‘We have restored the house to what it was before the Civil Wars, and we have made a garden of terraces, in which cavaliers might roam, and saunter, with their ladye-loves!’
After his death in 1881, Hughenden was inherited by Disraeli’s nephew, Major Coningsby Disraeli. Coningsby left the property to his niece Mrs Calverley.
In 1946, the estate was given to the National Trust.