Nymans is a garden for all seasons with its rare and unusual plant collections.
In Spring, enjoy the blossom, bulbs and flowering rhododendrons, magnolias and camellias.
The Rose Garden is at its best in June with a magnificent collection of old-fashioned roses, partly encircled by Salvia beds.
The dramatic summer borders are the highlight of the Walled Garden. Planted with a mixture of herbaceous perennials and annuals, the Verona marble fountain is the focal point.
Don’t miss the Courtyard Garden beside the house with its stone dovecote built into the wall.
National Trust members visit for free.
From 1597 until the end of the 17th century, the land at Nymans was owned by the Gatland family who built a house on the site of the present house.
Nymans passed through several hands until 1890 when it was bought by Ludwig Messel. Messel enlarged the house with advice from Ernest George and, influenced by Sir Edmund Loder at Leonardslee and William Robinson at Gravetye, laid out the gardens.
After Ludwig’s death in 1916, his son Colonel Leonard Messel inherited Nymans. The only way that Leonard could persuade his wife to move to Nymans was to rebuild it in the medieval style. They used the architects Norman Evill and Walter Tapper. The Messels introduced a wide range of plants to the garden particularly from the Himalayas and South America.
Much of the house was destroyed by fire in 1947 except for the north-east wing which remained habitable.
Their daughter Anne, Countess of Rosse gave the estate to the National Trust in 1954. Lady Rosse continued to develop the gardens until her death.