Tucked away above Salcombe is this sub-tropical garden. It is filled with exotic and rare plants including eucalyptus, citrus fruit, bananas and Chusan palms. The views over the sea are sensational.
There are no disabled toilets.
Please check which days the gardens are open – they are currently closed on Fridays and Saturdays.
National Trust members visit for free.
Albert Stumbles bought some woodland at the end of the 19th century and developed the land for housing. One of the first houses to be built was Sharpitor which was bought by Edric Hopkins. Hopkins created a series of terraces below the house which were developed further by the next owner, George Vereker.
Vereker’s widow lived at Sharpitor until 1928 when she sold the house to Otto Overbeck. A scientist and fellow of the Zoological Society, Society of Arts and the Geological Society, Overbeck filled the garden with sub-tropical plants
In his Will, Overbeck left the house, contents and garden to either the National Trust or to Salcombe Urban District Council.
The National Trust accepted the bequest and today the house is used as a museum and youth hostel while the gardens are open to the public. The house was renamed in Overbeck’s memory.