Explore the 10 glorious gardens surrounding the Castle, each very different.
Wander through the romantic Tithe Barn Garden to the Mulberry Garden.
The Moorish Knot Garden was created by Jane Fearnley-Whittingstall in 1995. Its design is based on a pattern on a dress worn by Elizabeth I in a portrait of the Queen that hangs in the Castle.
Rambling roses tumble over the ruins of the 15th century Banqueting Hall while the Queens’ Garden – originally an Elizabethan parterre – has a wonderful rose garden laid out in formal beds with a central fountain.
Don’t miss the White Garden near the Church or the Secret Garden replanted to celebrate the marriage of Henry and Lili Dent-Brocklehurst.
Walk through the Rare Breeds Pheasantry to the Moat and a series of ‘Tudor’ gardens.
The gardens are open from March until December – check the website for details.
Historic Houses members visit for free.
The Castle has had a turbulent history. King Ethelred owned Sudeley in 9th century and it remained in the de Sudeley family until 1469.
In 1547, Thomas Seymour, Lord High Admiral of England and Baron Sudeley controversially married Catherine Parr, 34 days after the death of Henry VIII. In the same year, Edward VI gave Sudeley Castle to Seymour. Catherine died in 1548, a few days after giving birth to a daughter and is buried in the Church. Friction between Seymour and his elder brother Edward resulted in Seymour’s execution in 1549. In 1554, Queen Mary gave Sudeley to Thomas Boydes.
Ironically, Queen Elizabeth visited the Castle as a guest, making three royal progresses here, the last to celebrate the defeat of the Armada.
The Castle was damaged during the Civil War and on Oliver Cromwell’s orders, Studeley became semi-derelict. It remained in this state until 1830 when the estate was bought by the Dent brothers, glove manufacturers from Worcester. They employed George Gilbert Scott to restore the Castle and Chapel.
Sudeley Castle is home to Elizabeth, Lady Ashcombe and her son, daughter and their families.