The Courts Garden
Approach from the east via a pleached lime walk, the gardens cover seven and a half acres.
Some features in the garden remind visitors that this was originally a mill owner’s house –the uprights in the Pillar Garden were once used for drying cloth while a cascade from the Lily ponds leads to the Lower Pond where the dye and waste from the mill used to flow. The stones used for the paths and terraces were brought from the jail at Devizes when it was demolished in the 1920s.
The Arboretum was planted in 1952 by Moyra Goff and contains various fine tree specimens, such as a fern–leaved and copper beech, monkey puzzle, catalpa, acers, walnuts, and cherries.
The gardens are open from February until November – check the website for details.
There’s a public car park in the village of Holt, a few minutes walk from the gardens.
National Trust members visit for free.