At the centre of the 40 acre garden is its display of camellias, rhododendrons, tree ferns, flowering cherries and hydrangeas. These are underplanted with spring bulbs and a collection of photinia and azaleas.
Stand on the terrace in front of the neo-Greek Ionic portico and matching Ionic Palm House and enjoy the magnificent views over the Fal estuary.
Extensive walks through the beautiful woodland are well marked. There’s a lake, small cascade and a thatched hexagonal summerhouse built in 1996.
In 1960s, the Trust developed a new part of the garden, Carcaddon, which is accessed via a footbridge and has similar plantings to the rest of the garden.
A magnificent Cryptomeria japonica is at the centre of the sloping lawn while there is a Scented Garden near the shop.
Instead of a car, arrive at the gardens by ferry. Boats leave from Falmouth, Truro or St Mawes – check Fal River website for details. There is a steep uphill walk from the ferry which is not suitable for wheelchair users.
National Trust members visit for free.
Trelissick is first mentioned in the late 13th century.
In 1750s, John Lawrence commissioned Edmund Davey to design the house. After his death, the estate was divided up with his widow keeping the majority.
Legal action was taken against Mrs Lawrencin 1805 by the family’s creditors including Ralph Allen Daniell. Trelissick was put up for sale and was bought by Daniell. Thomas ‘Guinea-a-Minute’ Daniell and his wife, the niece and heiress of Ralph Allen of Prior Park, Bath enlarged the park. Their son remodelled the existing house using the architect P F Robinson.
After a depression in farming and mining, Daniell was declared bankrupt and was forced to sell the estate in 1831. It was bought by Viscount Falmouth of Tregothnan although the house remained unoccupied.
It was bought by John Davies Gilbert in 1844 who restored the house and gardens. The estate was again divided in 1913, with the house and gardens let to Leonard Daneham Cunliffe. Cunliffe bought the freehold in 1928 and at his death in 1937, the estate was inherited by his step-daughter, Mrs Ida Copeland and her husband.
Dividing their time between Staffordshire and Cornwall, they began to develop the gardens introducing rhododendrons from Lord Aberconway’s garden at Bodnant, north Wales. They moved permanently to Trelissick in 1948.
In 1955 Mrs Copeland gave 376 acres to the National Trust, keeping the house for the family.