The gardens include a 19th century Orangery and lavender parterre, shrubs and herbaceous borders. Other features include the Fernery, Spanish Garden and Terrace Garden.
Many of the borders have been replanted with a new bed by the greenhouse and the recently planted Magnolia Walk near the lake.
Ugbrooke is dominated by the park laid out by ‘Capability’ Brown in the late 18th century.
The gardens are open in June and July from midday until 5.00pm. They are closed on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.
In 1550, Ugbrooke was sold to Sir Piers Courtenay of Powderham Castle and when Sir Pier’s widow died in 1604, the estate was inherited by their grandson, Thomas Clifford. The estate remains in the Clifford family today.
The house was rebuilt in the late 17th century and again between 1763 and 1768 when Hugh, 4th Lord Clifford appointed Robert Adam as architect. It is one of the earliest examples of Adam’s ‘Toy Fort’ style. Adam also updated the Chapel. Lancelot Brown had been asked to draw up plans for the house in 1760 but lost out to Adam.
Brown was asked back to Ugbrooke in c1770 to layout a new park and adapt the existing formal garden.
After becoming a school during the Second World War, a refuge for the Polish Army and a grain store, it was restored as a family home in 1957 by the 13th Lord and Lady Clifford.