Small but perfect, Westbury Court Gardens is a wonderful example of a Franco-Dutch garden.
Centred around the Long Canal, there are clipped hedges and rectangular beds planted with vegetables and fruit. At the far side is a formal garden.
The Walled Garden is filled with period flowers and an abundance of roses.
Climb up the Tall Pavilion and enjoy the view over the gardens.
The holm oak at Westbury is probably the oldest in UK.
Unlike many National Trust gardens, there’s no shop or cafe. Coffees and teas and a small selection of gifts can be bought from the mobile ticket office.
The gardens are open on several days a week from March until the end of October – check the website for details.
National Trust members visit for free.
The Elizabethan house at Westbury was inherited in 1694 by Maynard Colchester and his wife Jane. Colchester kept a detailed account book from 1696 until 1705 recording the development of the gardens. Sixty-four plum trees were planted along with pear, cherry, apricot, peach and nectarines, numerous bulbs and vegetables. There are also payments to a ‘weeder-woman’.
The Gazebo in the Walled Garden was built by Colchester’s nephew who replaced the earlier house with a Palladian building. This was pulled down in 1805.
Westbury was rarely visited until 1890 when Colchester-Wemyss built a house on the site next to the Tall Pavilion. But six years later, the estate was sold to a developer and the house and much of the garden was sold off.
In 1967, Westbury Court was given to the National Trust. They are continuing an extensive restoration project.