In 1516, Henry VIII granted Grimsthorpe to William, 10th Baron Willoughby de Eresby. On inheriting the property in 1666, Robert Bertie, 3rd Earl of Lindsey rebuilt the sixteenth century house. His son Robert who succeeded him in 1701, commissioned Stephen Switzer to lay out the gardens and perhaps to celebrate his dukedom, Robert asked Sir John Vanbrugh to redesign the house. In 1771, ‘Capability’ Brown was commissioned to update the park. The gardens include topiary gardens, enclosures, the Groves, the Long Plantation, parterre, and a rectangular walled Potager created by Lady Ancaster in twentieth century. In 1978, the 26th Baron Willoughby created a charitable trust to maintain the estate.