Haddon Hall

Romantic Medieval House with Beautiful Terraced Gardens

In 1087, William Peverel owned the manor of Haddon but it was forfeited to the Crown in 1153. It was then lived in by the Avenell family, tenants of the Peverels, until 1170 when Sir Richard Vernon bought the estate after his marriage to Avice Avenell. The Vernons built most of the hall except for the Peverill Tower and part of the Chapel and the Long Gallery which were added in the sixteenth century. MORE >