Originally owned by the Augustinians, the Abbey was given by Henry VIII to William Abbot, Sergeant to the King’s Cellar in 1546. It was transformed into a house around 1600 with later additions by John Meadows in the eighteenth century with further remodelling in 1862 by Sir George Gilbert Scott. Gertrude Jekyll was a frequent visitor and helped Lady Stucley design the garden including the Baronet’s Bog Garden, the Victorian Fernery and Camellia Garden. The garden was neglected during the War but in 1996 a restoration programme began with the Gazebo and Summerhouse restored and the walled gardens replanted with vegetables, fruit, herbaceous plants and tender perennials. The house has never been sold; the current owner is Sir Hugh George Copplestone Bampfylde Stucley, a descendent of the original owner.