The medieval palace of Bishop William of Wykeham was rebuilt in 1679 by Sir Robert Sawyer, Attorney General to Charles II and James II. Further alterations were carried out in 1774 by William Burt, possibly to plans made by ‘Capability’ Brown; Brown also updated the Park. The house was remodelled in the Elizabethan style in 1838 by Sir Charles Barry for the 3rd Earl of Carnarvon. Features of the garden include the Monk’s Garden, the White Border, the Secret Garden and a newly planted woodland area called the Wood of Goodwill. It is home to the 8th Earl and Countess of Carnarvon.