In 1758, Sir Nathaniel Curzon commissioned Matthew Brettingham to design a new house on the site of an earlier building. Brettingham was replaced by James Paine who was superseded a year later by Robert Adam. Adam worked on both the interior and exterior of the Hall and redesigned the gardens that had been laid out by Charles Bridgeman. Proposals by Gertrude Jekyll and Sir Edwin Lutyens in 1916 were not implemented but further alterations were made in the 1920s. There are several eighteenth century garden buildings including the Orangery and a monument to Michael Drayton. Ancestral home to the Curzon family who have been at Kedleston since the 1150s, it has been run by the National Trust since 1987.