The present house was designed in 1778 by John Johnson as a temporary dwelling for Sir Thomas Acland. It is not known why James Wyatt’s plans for a new house in 1779 were abandoned but as a result Johnsons’s house was kept and enlarged in 1830. The gardens were laid out in 1770s by John Veitch and contain rhododendrons, magnolias, specimen trees, herbaceous borders, an ice house and an early nineteenth century summerhouse. The terrace next to the house was designed at the beginning of the twentieth century by William Robinson. There is an early nineteenth century woodland garden set within a larger park. Owned by the National Trust since 1944.