Once owned by the Prime Minister, William Lamb, 2nd Viscount Melbourne, the house was inherited in 1692 by Thomas Coke, a gentleman architect. From 1704-10, Coke laid out the gardens with advice from the Brompton Nurseries while further alterations were carried out between 1743-44 by Coke’s son. The gardens include a tunnel of Yew, a parterre, the ‘birdcage’ by Robert Bakewell, fountains and statues by Jan van Nost. Extensive restoration of the gardens was carried out at the beginning of the twentieth century and continues today. The house is now the seat of Lord and Lady Ralph Kerr.