Sir Edward Blackett bought the estate in 1689 and built the house c1695-1705 possibly to designs by Christopher Wren and also laid out the gardens. Wings were added on to the east side by John Carr and William Belwood c1780 while the interior was designed by Robert Adam. Alterations were made at the end of the nineteenth century while in 1920s Major Edward Compton updated the garden. Compton was influenced by Lawrence Johnston’s garden at Hidcote and the garden has continued to be maintained and developed within the existing framework by his grandson, Richard and his wife, Lucinda. The gardens include Tropical Garden, Sylvia’s Garden, Autumn Garden, Rhododendron Walk, Statue Walk, the Orchard Garden, Rock Garden and Rose Garden.