After the Dissolution of the Monasteries, the Priory passed through several hands until it was bought by the Winn family in 1654; it remained in their family until 1980s. Sir Rowland Winn, 4th Baronet, inherited the property in 1722 aged 16. After returning from his Grand Tour, he commissioned Colonel James Moyser to design a new house based, it is thought, on Palladio’s Villa Mocenigo. Moyser appointed James Paine to start the building work. Paine made several changes to the plans and worked for Moyser for the next thirty years. Sir Rowland also appointed Stephen Switzer to create plans for the landscape although it is not certain how many of his ideas were implemented. After Sir Rowland’s death, Nostell was inherited by his son Rowland who chose Robert Adam to continue work on the house and to design the Obelisk Lodge. In 1805, Nostell Priory was inherited by John Williamson, son of 6th Baronet’s sister, who adopted the surname Winn although not the baronetcy which passed to a cousin. In 1984, Nostell Priory was given to the National Trust in lieu of death duties. The gardens include the recently created Kitchen Garden, the Orangery, herbaceous borders, Menagerie Garden, Middle Lake, pleasure grounds, Druid’s Bridge and wildflower meadows.