After the Dissolution of the Monasteries, the Abbey was given to Thomas Manners, Earl of Rutland. On Katherine Manner’s marriage to George Villiers, 1st Duke of Buckingham, the land passed to their son, the 2nd Duke. On his death in 1687, the estates were sold to Sir Charles Duncombe who left them in his will of 1711 to his nephew Thomas Duncombe. His son, also called Thomas, laid out the grassed Terrace which joins the two buildings c1758. It is thought to have been designed by Thomas Robinson with the Ionic Temple at the north end and the Tuscan Temple at the south. The slope below the terrace has thirteen vistas cut through the woodland allowing visitors to see the changing views of the River Rye and the Abbey ruins. The estate remained in the Duncombe family until it was given to the National Trust in 1963. The Abbey is owned by English Heritage.