Search results
  • Filter your Search

  • Clear

‘Pilgrim’ at Mottisfont

‘Pilgrim’ at Mottisfont On Saturday, 21st September a new installation ‘Pilgrim’ will be opened at Mottisfont. Hywell Davies has composed the work in collaboration with Kuniko Kato (percussion) and Laurence

Read More »

Alnwick

Alnwick, Northumberland

Alnwick Park has been the seat of the Percy family since the fourteenth century. The landscape park was created for Hugh, 1st Duke of Northumberland between 1750 and 1786 with work by James Paine, Robert Adam and ‘Capability’ Brown.

Read More »

Anglesey Abbey

Cambridge, Cambrideshire

The Augustinian priory was converted into a house by the Fowkes family in the early seventeenth century. It was altered by Lord Fairhaven in 1926 who also recreated the gardens.

Read More »

Antony

Torpoint, Cornwall

The house was built in 1719 with Humphry Repton commissioned to redesign the landscape in 1792. The formal gardens to the north of the house were built c1900 for Sir Reginald Pole-Carew….

Read More »

Apple Days

Apple Days! Apple Day traditionally falls on 21st October but the event is celebrated throughout the UK from now until the end of October. Choose a garden near you: BUCKINGHAMSHIRE:

Read More »
Temple reflected in lake at Stourhead Landscape Gardens

Arcadia Gardens

Arcadian Gardensfrom 1714 to 1830 After Queen Anne’s death in 1714, her cousin George I of Hanover became King. It became common for aristocrats to travel to France and Italy

Read More »
Double herbaceous border and seat in the garden of Arley Hall in Cheshire

Arley Hall

Northwich, Cheshire

The house was designed by George Latham in 1830s for Rowland Egerton. The earlier Brownian landscape was redesigned in 1830s with further developments in the twentieth century.

Read More »
Victorian Flower Garden at Arlington Court in Devon

Arlington Court

Barnstaple, Devon

The manor of Arlington was bought by John Chichester in 1384. With increased wealth, the family rebuilt the Tudor house in 1790 but with extensive structural problems, a new house was designed by Thomas Lee of Barnstaple for Colonel John Chichester.

Read More »
View from the Rose Garden to Arundel Castle in Sussex

Arundel

Arundel, Sussex

Roger de Montgomery was given land in the Welsh Marches and one fifth of Sussex for his loyalty to his cousin William the Conqueror. After de Montgomery’s death, the motte and double bailey Castle reverted to the Crown under Henry I.

Read More »

Ascott House

Leighton Buzzard, Buckinghamshire

The Rothschilds transformed the Jacobean farmhouse into a large half-timbered house from the end of the nineteenth century until 1930s. The gardens were laid out with advice from Sir Harry Veitch at the beginning of the twentieth century….

Read More »
View of house and pergola at Athelhampton House and Gardens in Dorset

Athelhampton Park

Dorchester, Dorset

The Great Hall was built in 1485 by Sir William Martyn. The Arts and Crafts Garden with its enclosed vistas, garden buildings, mounts and terraces was created by Francis Inigo Thomas for Alfred Cart de Lafontaine who bought the estate in 1891.

Read More »

Audley End

Saffron Walden, Essex

On the site of a Benedictine monastery that was given by Henry VIII to Sir Thomas Audley in 1538, after the Dissolution of the Monasteries. Audley’s grandson, Thomas Howard, 1st Earl of Suffolk demolished the building….

Read More »

Autumn Gardens

Autumn Gardens From mid-October until the beginning of November, many gardens in England are at their best with the reds, golds and yellows of Autumn. Over the next few weeks,

Read More »
Sculpture and white flowers in Barbara Hepworth's garden and studio in St Ives in Cornwall

Barbara Hepworth

St Ives, Cornwall

Little has changed since the day Barbara Hepworth died in 1975; her studio is crammed with half-finished sculptures while the garden is filled with bronzes, mostly in the positions Hepworth placed them.

Read More »
Metal arches over path in the walled garden at Barrington Court in Somersest

Barrington Court

Ilminster, Somerset

The Tudor House and seventeenth century stable block (Strode House) were restored in 1920s by Colonel Lyle. The formal walled gardens were inspired by Gertrude Jekyll’s work while the model farm buildings were built by the Lyles as a working medieval estate.

Read More »
Pink shrub in garden of Basildon Park in Berkshire

Basildon Park

Reading, Berkshire

The original house was built in 1776 by Sir Francis Sykes who commissioned ‘Capability’ Brown to layout the Park and kitchen garden.

Read More »
View of the house from the rose garden at Batemans in Sussex, home of Rudyard Kipling

Batemans

Burwash, Sussex

The present house was probably built by William Langham in 1634 and was lived in by John Brittan from 1687 until 1715. In 1902, the house was bought by Rudyard Kipling.

Read More »

Belton House

Grantham, Lincolnshire

In 1603, Henry Pakenham sold Belton Manor to Richard Brownlow. Brownlow’s son was created a baronet by Charles I in 1641 and created the formal gardens including the Great Pond.

Read More »

Belvoir Castle

Grantham, Leicestershire

Robert de Todeni began building the first Castle here in 1067 having been given land by William the Conqueror. By the Wars of the Roses, the Castle was in ruins and was rebuilt by Sir Thomas Manners at the beginning of the sixteenth century.

Read More »
Flowers in the Walled Garden at Beningbrough, Yorkshire

Beningbrough

York, Yorkshire

After the Dissolution of the Monasteries, Beningbrough was sold to John Banister who gave it to his nephew Ralph Bourchier in 1556. John Bourchier built the current house in 1716; the build was overseen by William Thornton although the architect is not known.

Read More »
Yew hedges on the terrace with dahlia garden on the right at Biddulph Grange in Staffordshire

Biddulph Grange

Biddulph, Staffordshire

James Bateman bought Biddulph Grange in 1841 and with his wife Maria Egerton-Warburton and their friend Edward William Cooke created a garden to reflect the spirit of the Victorian age.

Read More »
facade of bishops palace and garden in Wells, Somerset

Bishop’s Palace, Wells

Wells, Somerset

Adjacent to Wells Cathedral, Bishops Jocelin began building the Palace c.1210. Originally surrounded by a deer park, the gardens were laid out in 1820s by Bishop George Law who was an advocate of the picturesque and created a reflecting pond near the springs.

Read More »
View from Folly over woods at Blaise Castle in Gloucestershire

Blaise Castle, Bristol

Bristol, Gloucestershire

The tri-lobe castle was built as a lookout for shipping on the River Severn. Humphry Repton was commissioned by John Scandrett Harford to produce a Red Book with three colour-coded drives up to the folly….

Read More »
View over the lake to the bridge in the landscape gardens created by Lancelot Brown at Blenheim Palace in Oxfordshire

Blenheim Palace

Woodstock, Oxfordshire

John Churchill, 1st Duke of Marlborough was given the Royal Manor of Woodstock by Queen Anne in 1705 in gratitude for defeating the French at the Battle of Blenheim.

Read More »

Blickling Hall

Aylsham, Norfolk

Robert Lyminge designed Blickling Hall for Sir Henry Hobart on the site of a medieval moated building between 1616 and 1626. The gardens were created with a banqueting house and were further developed in 1698 by Sir John Hobart, later 1st Earl of Buckingham.

Read More »
Kitchen garden with brick path with Standen House in the background

Borde Hill

Haywards Heath, Sussex

Stephen Borde built the house between 1583 and 1590 and it remained in the Borde family until the death of William Borde in 1720. The estate then passed through several hands until it was bought by Colonel Stephenson Clarke in 1892.

Read More »

Bowood House

Bowood, Wiltshire

Bowood House was built c1725 on the site of a former hunting lodge. It was bought by 1st Earl of Shelburne in 1754 and remains in the family today. The 2nd Earl commissioned Lancelot Brown to layout the Parkland with a lake created from two streams….

Read More »

Brantwood

Coniston, Cumbria

Beautifully situated on the edge of Coniston Water, John Ruskin lived at Brantwood for the last twenty-eight years of his life. Ruskin held lectures at the house and filled it with paintings, pottery and sea-shells.

Read More »

Brockhole

Windermere, Cumbria

William Gaddum bought the site on the shores of Lake Windermere and commissioned Dan Gibson to design the house for use during the summer. Thomas Mawson worked closely with Gibson….

Read More »
Brodsworth Hall seen from the Laburnum Tunnel

Brodsworth Hall and Gardens

Doncaster, Yorkshire

Brodsworth Hall was bought at the end of the eighteenth century by Peter Thellusson and after a long legal battle was inherited by his grandson Charles Sabine Thelluson.

Read More »

Buckland Abbey

Yelverton, Devon

Originally a Cistercian abbey founded in 1278 by Amicia, Countess of Devon, it remained an abbey until the Dissolution of the Monasteries. Henry VIII sold it to Sir Richard Grenville who began to convert the building into a house with the help of his son Sir Roger Grenville….

Read More »

Caerhays Castle

St. Austell, Cornwall

The present castle was designed by John Nash and built between 1807 and 1810 for John Bettesworth-Trevanion. Forced to sell Caerhays because of rising debts, Bettesworth-Trevanion sold the estate to Michael Williams in 1854.

Read More »
View from the house over the gardens at Canons Ashby in Northamptonshire

Canons Ashby

Daventry, Northamptonshire

The estate was given to Sir Francis Bryan in 1537 after the Dissolution of the Monasteries and was bought the following year by Sir John Cope.

Read More »
Castle Drogo in Devon designed by Edwin Lutyens

Castle Drogo

Impressive Castle and Gardens Designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens Summary close Castle Drogo Summary The castle was designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens between 1911 and 1930

Read More »
The Millenium Garden at Castle Hill in Devon

Castle Hill Gardens

Barnstaple, Devon

In the early eighteenth century, Hugh Fortescue, 1st Baron Clinton asked Lord Burlington and the Earl of Pembroke for their advice on rebuilding a late Tudor house. Roger Morris was chosen as architect….

Read More »
View of Castle Howard in Yorkshire designed by Sir John Vanbrugh

Castle Howard

York, Yorkshire

The estate was bought by the Howard family in 1571 and in 1698, Charles Howard commissioned William Talman to design plans for a new house. Talman’s ideas were rejected and a year later, Sir John Vanbrugh was appointed.

Read More »
Alliums in the garden at Chartwell in Kent, home of Winston Churchill

Chartwell

Westerham, Kent

The house was largely rebuilt c1850 and in 1922 Winston Churchill commissioned Philip Tilden to significantly alter the house. Churchill developed the terraced gardens from the late 1920s….

Read More »
Canal pond and Emperor Fountain in the gardens of Chatsworth House in Derbyshire

Chatsworth

Bakewell, Derbyshire

Home to the Cavendish family since 1549, a ‘new’ house was built by Bess of Hardwick in 1552. She also created the garden which was further developed by Humphry Repton in the eighteenth century and again by Joseph Paxton in the nineteenth.

Read More »

Chilham Castle

Chilham, Kent

The original house was built 1603-1616 with alterations made in the mid eighteenth century and again in 1922 by Sir Herbert Baker. The octagonal keep and curtain walls of the twelfth century Castle lie to the west of the house.

Read More »

Chiswick House

Chiswick, London

Sir Edward Seymore sold Chiswick House to the 1st Earl of Burlington in 1682. Burlington commissioned Colen Campbell to build a new villa which by 1733 was linked to the old house by a gallery.

Read More »
Brightly coloured flowers in the double herbaceous border in the gardens of Chomondeley Castle in Cheshire

Cholmondeley

Malpas, Cheshire

Seat to the Cholmondeley family since the twelfth century, the present house replaced a timber-framed hall nearby.

Read More »

Church Garden, Harefield

Uxbridge, London

A family restoration project of a Renaissance walled garden of 1600s including an organic kitchen garden with 56 geometrically arranged raised beds, herbaceous borders, fruit trees, herb garden and an orchard….

Read More »
View of Lake and Amphitheatre at Claremont Landscape Gardens

Claremont Landscape Garden

Esher, Surrey
Claremont Landscape Garden is a magnificent oasis of peace, easily reached from London. Many great names of landscape design have been included in its history including Sir John Vanbrugh, Charles Bridgeman, William Kent and Lancelot Brown. There are lots of things to discover in the garden including a grass amphitheatre, serpentine paths, a lake, grotto, Belvedere, Thatched Cottage and Camellia Terrace.

Read More »
View of Clevedon in Somerset from the terraced garden with mauve lavender

Clevedon Court

Clevedon, Somerset

Built by Sir John de Clevedon in c.1320, the house has been added to over the years. Clevedon was bought by Abraham Elton in 1709, and he and his son restored the house and created the terraced garden.

Read More »
Fountains in the lake in the Japanese Garden at Cliveden in Buckinghamshire

Cliveden

Taplow, Buckinghamshire

Charles Barry designed the present house in 1852 for the 2nd Duke of Sutherland. In 1893, Cliveden was bought by William Waldorf Aster who gave the estate as a wedding present to his son Waldorf on his marriage to Nancy Langhorn.

Read More »

Coleton Fishacre

Kingswear, Devon

The house was designed for Rupert and Lady Dorothy D’Oyle Carte in 1925 by Oswald Milne, a pupil of Sir Edwin Lutyens. Milne also designed the valley garden and it includes two terraces near the house linked by steps….

Read More »
View of two statues at the end of the rectangular pool with water lilies in the Italian Garden at Compton Acres in Dorset

Compton Acres

Poole, Dorset

Created in 1920s by Thomas William Simpson, the garden reflects Simpson’s love of travel. There is a circular route around the garden which travels through Egypt, the sub-Tropics, Italy, America and Japan.

Read More »

Constable Burton Garden

Leyburn, Yorkshire

In 1762, Sir Marmaduke Wyvill commissioned John Carr to design a new Hall on the site of an earlier house. The estate has remained in the same family since the Norman conquests.

Read More »
The facade of Corsham house and garden in Wiltshire

Corsham Court

Corsham, Wiltshire

Lancelot Brown was commissioned to redesign and enlarge the house at Corsham and landscape the park. As the work was not finished at his death, Humphry Repton was asked to complete the task.

Read More »
Flower beds flanking the central path to the facade of Cotehele house and garden in Cornwall

Cotehele

Saltash, Cornwall

The bones of the fifteenth century garden laid out by Sir Richard and Piers Edgcumbe can still be made out today.

Read More »
Rill in the gardens at Coton Manor, Northamptonshire

Coton Manor

Northampton, Northamptonshire

The house was erased to the ground during the Civil War and rebuilt in 1662 from stone taken from the nearby Holdenby Palace. In 1919, Murdo Munro bought Coton Grange Farm from the Boughton-Leigh family….

Read More »

Cottesbrook Hall

Northampton, Northamptonshire

Cottesbrooke Hall was built between 1702 and 1711 and enlarged in the late eighteenth century by Robert Mitchell. Set in an eighteenth century park, the gardens were laid out in 1937 by Robert Weir Schultz and Geoffrey Jellicoe….

Read More »

Cragside

Morpeth, Northumberland

Cragside was designed by Norman Shaw in 1864 and later enlarged, for Sir William George Armstrong, 1st Lord Armstrong. Two other buildings on the estate, Cragside Lodge and the Stables are all part of the complex….

Read More »
Avenue of trees leading to Cranborne Manor House and Gardens in Dorset

Cranborne Manor House

Wimborne, Dorset

The Manor House is surrounded by its garden which was first laid out by John Tradescant in seventeenth century and restored in twentieth century by Lady Salisbury.

Read More »

Croome

Worcester, Worcestershire

The 6th Earl of Coventry inherited Croome in 1751 and immediately appointed Lancelot Brown with advice from Sanderson Miller to design a house incorporating parts of the surviving seventeenth century building as well as creating a park ‘out of a morass’.

Read More »

Deene Park

Corby, Northamptonshire

Robert Brudenell was buried at Deene Park in 1514, and his son continued to enlarge the estate; Queen Elizabeth was entertained here in 1566. In 1606, the house was inherited by Thomas Brudenell who was created Earl of Cardigan in 1660….

Read More »
Trees and sky reflected in the Lake at Dunham Massey, Cheshire

Dunham Massey

Altrincham, Cheshire

Little remains of the original house and garden which was begun in the early seventeenth century by Sir George Booth and finished after the end of the Civil War.

Read More »
View of sun light on the sea from the cliffs at Durlston Counrty Park

Durlston Country Park

Swanage, Dorset

Created by George Burt in nineteenth century, there are various walks along the coast with viewing platforms, benches and a Dell originally planted with ferns and hardy exotics.

Read More »
Lake with shrubs and chapel reflected in water in gardens at Dyrham Park in

Dyrham Park

Bath, Gloucestershire

After his wife’s death in 1691, William Blathwayt transformed the original Tudor house and commissioned George London to design one of the greatest gardens in England.

Read More »
The Biomes emerging from the landscape at Eden Project in Cornwall

Eden Project

St. Austell, Cornwall

Five kilometres from St Austell is the Eden Project, the brain child of Tim Smit. There are two linked Biomes deep in the Bodelva Pit, the temperate house and tropical Biome.

Read More »

Elton Hall

Peterborough, Cambridgeshire

Home to the Proby family since 1660, Sir Thomas Proby rebuilt the house in 1665, incorporating the medieval chapel and gatehouse into the new design. Subsequent generations have added to the house and it contains a superb collection of art, paintings and books.

Read More »
Rhododendrons and azaleas in Emmetts garden in Kent

Emmetts Garden

Sevenoaks, Kent

The house was built in 1860 with the gardens laid out at the same time. In 1890, the estate was bought by Frederic Lubbock who planted a collection of rare shrubs and specimen trees.

Read More »

Englefield House

Englefield, Berkshire

The Englefield estate originated before the Norman Conquest, and has been developed over the years. The present park and gardens are mainly 18th and 19th century with the woodland garden created in 1936….

Read More »
Flowers in front of the facade of Enys house and garden in Cornwall

Enys

Penryn, Cornwall

The Tudor House is surrounded by a garden which was originally laid out at the end of the seventeenth century and updated in eighteenth and nineteenth centuries.

Read More »
Conifers in Autumn at Exbury Gardens in Hampshire

Exbury

Southampton, Hampshire

Created at the end of the twentieth century by Lionel de Rothschild, Exbury has a magnificent collection of species and hybrid rhododendrons, camellias, magnolias and azaleas.

Read More »

Felbrigg Hall

Norwich, Norfolk

The Jacobean house was extended in 1674 by the architect William Samwell for William Windham. The formal gardens were updated in the eighteenth century and new plantations were made along with a lake, kitchen garden an icehouse.

Read More »
Four flower beds with central pot infront of Forde Abbey in Somerset

Forde Abbey

Chard, Somerset

Forde Abbey was founded as a monastery in the twelfth century and after the Dissolution of the Monasteries was leased by the Crown to Richard Pollard. It was not lived in until it was bought in 1649 by Edmund Prideaux who later became Oliver Cromwell’s Attorney General.

Read More »

Fyne Court

Bridgewater, Somerset

Fyne Court is inextricably linked with its nineteenth century owner, Andrew Crosse. A great British eccentric, Crosse dedicated his life to Physics and used the rooms of his house as laboratories and the trees surrounding his property as part of his experiments.

Read More »
Japanese Garden at Gatton Park in Surrey

Gatton Park

Reigate, Surrey

The house has been rebuilt many times since it was first mentioned in the Domesday Book. Lancelot Brown was commissioned to improve the garden in 1760s which included reshaping the lake and creating the Parkland.

Read More »
Rectangular flower beds in the garden of the naturalist Gilbert White in Hampshire

Gilbert White

Alton, Hampshire

Reverend White laid out the garden between 1751 and the early 1760s but with no plans of the garden, it was recreated by Kim Wilkie in 1992 using White’s journals….

Read More »
Overlooking the Maze at Glendurgan gardens in Cornwall

Glendurgan

Falmouth, Cornwall

The Quaker Fox family bought several gardens near the town of Falmouth in the nineteenth century. Alfred Fox bought Glendurgan in 1820s and established walks down the valley to the hamlet of Durgan and built the ponds and planted the cherry and pear orchards.

Read More »
Goddards, an Arts and Crafts house and garden created in twentieth century for the Terry family of York

Goddards

York, Yorkshire

The house was designed for Noel and Kathleen Terry of Terry’s confectionary in 1927 by Walter Brierley who died before the building was completed. The garden was designed by George Dillistone who had worked with Edwin Lutyens at Castle Drogo.

Read More »

Godinton House

Ashford, Kent

The large red-brick house was built in 1628 by Nicholas Toke with the original medieval house at its core. Further additions were made by John Toke in the eighteenth century and again by Reginald Blomfield in 1896 for George Ashley Dodd.

Read More »
Formal Gardens with central stone object at Godolphin gardens in Cornwall

Godolphin

Helston, Cornwall

By 1535 Godolphin House had been built although little is known about the garden until 1690 when a letter describing the house and garden was sent to John Evelyn.

Read More »

Great Chalfield Manor

Great Chalford, Wiltshire

A Fifteenth Century Manor House with Attractive Arts and Crafts Garden Summary close Great Chalfield Manor Summary Described by Pevsner as ‘one of the most

Read More »
View from the coloured border in the garden created by Christopher Lloyd at Great Dixter in Sussex towards the house

Great Dixter

Rye, Sussex

Built around a fifteenth century manor house, Nathaniel Lloyd commissioned Sir Edwin Lutyens to enlarge the house in 1909. Lloyd’s son Christopher, gardener and garden writer, designed the garden in the Arts and Crafts style.

Read More »

Greys Court

Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire

The Manor at Rotherfield Greys was built during the late sixteenth century, probably incorporating the earlier medieval manor house.

Read More »

Grimsthorpe Castle

Bourne, Lincolnshire

In 1516, Henry VIII granted Grimsthorpe to William, 10th Baron Willoughby de Eresby. On inheriting the property in 1666, Robert Bertie, 3rd Earl of Lindsey rebuilt the sixteenth century house.

Read More »

Gunby Hall

Spilsby, Lincolnshire

Sir William Massingberd built the current house in 1700 with a ‘new’ park laid out in 1730 which was enlarged by Henry Massingberd in 1780. In 1943 the estate was given to the National Trust to save it from demolition and use as an airfield.

Read More »
View from the Terrace towards Haddon Hall in Derbyshire

Haddon Hall

Bakewell, Derbyshire

Described by Simon Jenkins as ‘the most perfect house to survive from the Middle Ages’, Haddon Hall lies a few miles from Chatsworth in the Peak District, overlooking the River Wye.

Read More »
View from the Wilderness in the pleasure gardens at Ham House in London

Ham House

Richmond, London

Built in 1610 for Sir Thomas Vavsour, the house was enlarged and remodelled in 1670s for the Duke and Duchess of Lauderdale. After Lauderdale’s death, the house was lived in by his widow and then passed to her son, the third Earl of Dysart.

Read More »
Privy Garden at Hampton Court Palace in London, home of Henry VIII

Hampton Court Palace

Kingston, London

Cardinal Wolsey began building Hampton Court in 1515 but in 1528 he gave the Palace to King Henry VIII to try and regain his popularity. Henry enlarged the building and laid out the grounds although nothing remains of the garden from this period.

Read More »

Hanbury Hall

Droitwich Spa, Worcestershire

In 1590s, Sir Thomas Leighton bought Hanbury Hall from the Crown and sold it in 1631 to Edward Vernon. Edward’s grandson Thomas Vernon was a successful London lawyer and he set out about enlarging the estate and rebuilding the house c1701….

Read More »
Formal Gardens surrounding the prodigy house, Hardwick Hall in Derbyshire built by Bess of Hardwick

Hardwick Hall

Chesterfield, Derbyshire

Bess of Hardwick was one of the richest women in England, and she built the ‘new’ Hardwick Hall as a statement of her wealth and power. On her death in 1608, the estate remained in the family until it was transferred to the National Trust in 1959.

Read More »
View of the Formal Gardens in front of Harewood Hall in Yorkshire

Harewood Hall

Leeds, Yorkshire

Henry Lascelles bought the land in 1738 using money from the West Indian sugar trade. Henry committed suicide in 1753 and in 1759 his son Edwin commissioned John Carr to replace the medieval Gawthorpe Hall with a new house renamed Harewood House.

Read More »
Walled Garden at Hartland Abbey in Devon

Hartland Abbey

Bideford, Devon

Originally owned by the Augustinians, the Abbey was given by Henry VIII to William Abbot, Sergeant to the King’s Cellar in 1546. It was transformed into a house around 1600 with later additions by John Meadows in the eighteenth century….

Read More »

Hatfield House

Hatfield, Hertfordshire

Hatfield Palace was built c1480 by Cardinal John Morton but after the Dissolution of the Monasteries, it became the property of the Crown. It was here that Elizabeth I heard the news that she was Queen.

Read More »
View over surrounding countryside from dramatic outcrop of rocks at Hawkstone Follies in Shropshire

Hawkstone Follies

Shrewsbury, Shropshire

The dramatically sublime landscape was created in the eighteenth century by generations of the Hill family. It is filled with precipice walks, caves, grottoes and towers and combines the intellect of the Picturesque with the unreserved flamboyance of the Rococo.

Read More »

Heale

Salisbury, Wiltshire

Eight acres of attractive gardens beside the River Avon Summary close Heale House Summary Probably built in seventeenth century, the house was enlarged by Detmar Blow

Read More »

Helmingham Hall

Stowmarket, Suffolk

Built in 1510 by Lionel Tollemache on the site of an earlier house, the Hall is surrounded by a moat and is reached by two working drawbridges. The house has been altered several times: by Lionel Tollemache, 4th Earl of Dysart between 1745 and 1760….

Read More »
Edwardian Gardens created by Lutyens and Jekyll at Hestercombe in Somerset

Hestercombe

Taunton, Somerset

Hestercombe is a combination of three styles of gardening: Arcadian, Victorian and the Edwardian designs of Gertrude Jekyll and Edwin Lutyens. Beautifully restored, there are lakes, temples, terraces, formal gardens and breathtaking views over the Vale of Taunton Dean.

Read More »
Fountain in the Italian Gardens at Hever, home to Anne Boleyn

Hever

Edenbridge, Kent

In the thirteenth century, Hever was owned by the de Hever family who sold it in 1462 to Sir Geoffrey Boleyn, great-grandfather of Anne Boleyn. William Waldorf Astor bought the estate in 1903, restored the moated Castle and laid out the gardens….

Read More »
Pink roses in the garden at Hidcote in Gloucestershire

Hidcote

Chipping Camden, Gloucestershire

Created by Lawrence Johnston at the beginning of the twentieth century, Hidcote has a series of rooms including Mrs Winthrop’s Garden, the Old Garden, Pillar Garden, Lower Stream Garden, White Garden and the Red Border.

Read More »
Jackdaws Castle in the landscape gardens at Highclere, film location of Downton Abbey

Highclere

Newbury, Berkshire

Built in the Elizabethan style, Highclere was remodelled in 1838 for the 3rd Earl of Carnarvon by Sir Charles Barry. The park was landscaped by ‘Capability’ Brown and surrounds the house and gardens.

Read More »
View from Highcliffe gardens to the beach and sea

Highcliffe

Christchurch, Dorset

The house was built between 1831 and 1835 in Gothic Revival style by Charles Stuart, 1st Baron Stuart de Rothesay. Little remains of the garden although Dorset County Council is carrying out a restoration programme.

Read More »

Holker Hall

Grange-over-Sands, Cumbria

Holker Hall dates from the sixteenth century with later additions and was largely rebuilt in Jacobean style by George Webster for the 7th Duke of Devonshire. After a devastating fire in 1871, the Duke commissioned E.G. Paley and Hubert Austin to rebuild the west wing.

Read More »

Holkham Hall

Wells-next-Sea, Norfolk

Thomas Coke inherited the estate in 1707 at the age of 10. He met William Kent on his Grand Tour and on his return, began to remodel the house and garden. The design of the house by Matthew Brettingham was modified by Coke, Lord Burlington and William Kent….

Read More »
Sixteenth century garden loggia at Horton Court in Gloucestershire

Horton Court

Chipping Sodbury, Gloucestershire

The house was built in about 1521 by William Knight, Chaplain and Clerk of the Closet to Henry VIII. Knight travelled widely and The Ambulatory combines the medieval form of cloister with new ideas from Italy.

Read More »

Houghton Hall

King’s Lynn, Norfolk

Sir Robert Walpole inherited the estate in 1700 and in 1721 James Gibbs drew up some new plans for the house which were later altered by Colen Campbell; the interiors were designed by William Kent.

Read More »
Well-head in the twentieth century gardens at Houghton Lodge in Hampshire

Houghton Lodge

Stockbridge, Hampshire

The fishing lodge or cottage ornee was probably designed by John Nash for the Pitt-Rivers family at the beginning of the nineteenth century. On the west side of the River Test, the estate has been owned by the Busk family since 1910….

Read More »

Hughenden Manor

High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire

The present house was built towards the end of the eighteenth century and remodelled in 1862 by Edward Buckton Lamb for Benjamin Disraeli. The formal garden was designed by Disraeli’s wife, Lady Beaconsfield and has recently been restored.

Read More »

Ickworth

Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk

The Hervey family bought land at Ickworth in 1467 and built a manor house. In 1706, John Hervey created a walled garden and summerhouse and built a canal.

Read More »
View of Iford Manor and gardens created by Harold Peto from across the River Frome

Iford Manor

Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire

Home to Harold Peto from 1899-1933, the gardens have recently been restored. They include water features, garden buildings, colonnades and herbaceous borders.

Read More »
Shrubs and trees around a water feature in the Japanese Garden in Cornwall

Japanese Garden

Newquay, Cornwall

A place of serenity and peace, the garden was begun in 1991 by Robert and Stella Hore. It is filled with azaleas, acers, grasses and bamboos and has a Zen Garden and Teahouse.

Read More »

Kedleston Hall

Derby, Derbyshire

In 1758, Sir Nathaniel Curzon commissioned Matthew Brettingham to design a new house on the site of an earlier building. Brettingham was replaced by James Paine who was superseded a year later by Robert Adam.

Read More »
Walled Garden at Kelmarsh in Northamptonshire

Kelmarsh

Kelmarsh, Northamptonshire

William Hanbury commissioned James Gibbs to design a new house in 1728; it was completed by 1737. The gardens were redesigned in the twentieth century by Geoffrey Jellicoe for Nancy Lancaster….

Read More »
Line of trees in the gardens at Kelmscott in Gloucestershire, home of William Morris

Kelmscott

Lechlade, Gloucestershire

The Manor House was built in the late 1500s and was bought in 1871 by William Morris. The layout of the buildings provides a series of small walled gardens, unlinked and unrelated….

Read More »
View from the landscape garden by Humphry Repton towards the facade of Kenwood House

Kenwood House

Hampstead, London

From thirteenth to sixteenth century Caen Wood was a monastic wood which was bought in 1616 by John Bill who built the first house on the site. George Middleton leased Kenwood from the Earl of Ilay at the beginning of the eighteenth century….

Read More »
The Orangery at Kew Gardens in London

Kew

Kew, London

Kew Gardens is one of the leading botanic gardens in the world fulfilling its mission statement ‘to inspire and deliver science-based plant conservation worldwide, enhancing the quality of life’.

Read More »
Rectangular pond with stepping stones and surrounded by green hedge at Kiftsgate Gardens in Gloucestershire

Kiftsgate

Chipping Camden, Gloucestershire

Very different from its neighbour Hidcote, Kiftsgate has extensive views over the Vale of Evesham with three generations of the same family adding their own signature.

Read More »
Formal Gardens with Urn at Killerton House in Devon

Killerton House

Exeter, Devon

The present house was designed in 1778 by John Johnson as a temporary dwelling for Sir Thomas Acland. It is not known why James Wyatt’s plans for a new house in 1779 were abandoned but as a result Johnsons’s house was kept and enlarged in 1830.

Read More »
Circular rose bed with Kingston Lacy house in distance

Kingston Lacy

Wimborne Minster, Dorset

After the destruction of Corfe Castle in the English Civil War, the Bankes family built Kingston Lacy in 1663. The garden was laid out in Franco-Dutch style but nothing of the original garden survives today.

Read More »
Circular flower beds with central feature in gardens at Kingston Maurward in Dorset

Kingston Maurward

Dorchester, Dorset

The thirty-five acre formal gardens lie within a parkland setting and include the Brick Garden, the Red Garden, the Crown Garden and two National Collections of Penstemon and Salvia.

Read More »
The White Garden in front of the Jacobean House, Kiplin Hall in Yorkshire

Kiplin Hall

Richmond, Yorkshire

Kiplin Hall was built c1625, for George Calvert, Secretary of State to James I. Calvert later became 1st Lord Baltimore and was granted a royal charter by Charles I to settle a region in the Americas which was later called Maryland.

Read More »

Knebworth

Knebworth, Hertfordshire

The original house was built in sixteenth century but remodelled in the early nineteenth century by Mrs Bulwer-Lytton and again in 1840s by Sir Edward Bulwer-Lytton.

Read More »
View from Terrace over Formal Gardens at Knightshayes Court in Devon

Knightshayes Court

Tiverton, Devon

Knightshayes was bought by John Heathcote Amory, a Tiverton lace manufacturer in 1867, and he commissioned William Burges to design a new house; it was completed by 1872.

Read More »
View from Formal Gardens to Knole, a Tudor house in Kent

Knole

Sevenoaks, Kent

Thomas Sackville carried out major work on the house from 1605 to 1608, remodelling the earlier fifteenth century building. Charles Sackville-West gave the house to National Trust in 1947 with the majority of the rooms leased back to the Sackville family.

Read More »
View across the Park towards Lacock Abbey in Wiltshire

Lacock Abbey

Chippenham, Wiltshire

The house was built over the original cloisters and has gone through many additions and alterations. It was here that Fox Talbot experimented with photography.

Read More »
Brightly coloured bedding plants in the formal garden at Lanhydrock in Cornwall

Lanhydrock

Bodmin, Cornwall

The first surviving survey of the land at Lanhydrock was carried out in 1695 and shows a series of compartments to the east, north and north-west of the house. Further money was spent on the garden in eighteenth century and again at the end of the nineteenth century.

Read More »

Leeds Castle

Maidstone, Kent

The main castle was begun in 1119, enlarged by Henry VIII and rebuilt in the early seventeenth century by the Smythe family. The present house was designed by William Baskett in 1822 for Fiennes Wykeham Martin.

Read More »

Leonardslee

Horsham, Sussex

Charles II gave St Leonards Forest to his physician Sir Edward Greaves. The land then passed to the Aldridge family who in 1801 sold part of the estate to Charles George Beauclerk who built a lodge and began the layout of the garden.

Read More »

Levens Hall

Kendal, Cumbria

The de Redman family owned Levens Hall from 1170 until selling it to the Bellingham family in the sixteenth century. The Bellinghams enlarged the house before losing the estate in a game of cards; it was bought by Colonel James Grahme in 1688.

Read More »

Longleat

Warminster, Wiltshire

After the Dissolution, Longleat Priory was sold to Sir John Thynne and after a fire in 1567, Thynne employed Robert Smythson to build a new house which was finished by 1580.

Read More »
The Kitchen Garden with greenhouse at the Lost Gardens of Heligan in Cornwall

Lost Gardens of Heligan

St. Austell, Cornwall

A chance discovery in 1990s led to the restoration of the Victorian gardens and surrounding pleasure grounds and sub-tropical jungle valley garden. Originally created in seventeenth century, the gardens fell into disrepair during the two World Wars.

Read More »

Lowther Castle

Penrith, Cumbria

The Gothic Castle was built on the site of a medieval hall by Sir Robert Smirke for 1st Earl of Lonsdale in 1806-14. It fell into ruin and was not saved until a charitable trust was formed in 2007 to consolidate the site and secure its future.

Read More »
View over Parkland to Lulworth Castle in Dorset

Lulworth Castle

Wareham, Dorset

Originally built as a hunting lodge, the Castle has recently been restored. It sits within its own parkland but nothing of the earlier seventeenth century garden remains today.

Read More »
Brightly coloured Italian Garden below Lyme Park in Cheshire

Lyme Park

Stockport, Cheshire

Originally a sixteenth century deer park, the house was enlarged and remodelled in 1720s by Giacomo Leoni, a Venetian born architect, for Peter Legh. The house is surrounded by formal gardens of around fifteen acres….

Read More »
Purple flowers in the garden at Lytes Cary in Somerset

Lytes Cary

Somerton, Somerset

Described by Christopher Hussey as ‘a necklace of garden rooms strung on green corridors’, the National Trust has skilfully restored the gardens.

Read More »

Mannington Hall

Norwich, Norfolk

Built in 1460s by William Lumner, the estate passed to the Potts family in 1550. The Hall was bought by Horatio Walpole in 1736 who owned the adjoining Wolterton Hall.

Read More »

Manor Garden, Hemingford Grey

Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire

Built in 1130, The moated Manor house is one of the oldest continuously inhabited houses in England. Lucy M. Boston bought the property in 1939, rechristening it Green Knowe, made famous by her children’s books of the same name.

Read More »
Gertrude Jekyll gardens at Manor House Gardens, Upton Grey in Hampshire

Manor House Garden, Upton Grey

Upton Grey, Hampshire

Charles Holme, founder of the Arts and Crafts magazine The Studio, moved from the Red House, Bexley to the fifteenth century manor house at Upton Grey which he had bought in 1906.

Read More »
View from Terrace over Arts and Crafts garden at Mapperton in Dorset

Mapperton

Beaminster, Dorset

The garden was created by Mrs Ethel Labouchere in memory of her husband who died in 1916 and includes a Fountain Court, topiary, grottoes, Pool Garden and arboretum.

Read More »
Marble Hill Gardens at Twickenham, home to Henrietta Howard

Marble Hill

Marble Hill, Twickenham

The Palladian villa and gardens were created by Henrietta Howard, mistress of the Prince of Wales, later George II at the beginning of the eighteenth century. Howard lived at Marble Hill until her death in 1767.

Read More »

Medieval Gardens

Medieval GardensThe Middle Ages to 1500 Gardens have long been associated with the image of paradise. The hospital of St Giles in Norwich was founded in 1246 and had a

Read More »

Melbourne Hall

Melbourne, Derbyshire

Once owned by the Prime Minister, William Lamb, 2nd Viscount Melbourne, the house was inherited in 1692 by Thomas Coke, a gentleman architect. He laid out the gardens, with advice from George London and Henry Wise from 1704-10.

Read More »
Gardens at Michelham Priory in Sussex

Michelham Priory

Hailsham, Sussex

Originally an Augustinian Priory founded by Gilbert de Aquila in 1229, the Priory was seized during the Dissolution of the Monasteries and given to Thomas Cromwell.

Read More »
Purple rhododendrons and shrubs in garden at Minterne in Dorset

Minterne

Dorchester, Dorset

Minterne House was designed by Leonard Stokes in 1904-6 for Edward Henry Trafalgar Digby, 10th Baron Digby. It stands on the site of an earlier house within an eighteenth century landscape that was laid out by Admiral Robert Digby….

Read More »
Fountain Pool in the gardens at Montacute House in Somerset

Montacute

Montacute, Somerset

A prodigy house built by Edward Phelips at the end of the sixteenth century, Montacute also has two surviving banqueting houses in the East Court.

Read More »
View of Parterre designed by Norah Lindsay in the gardens at Mottisfont in Hampshire

Mottisfont

Romsey, Hampshire

Incorporating the earlier monastic buildings into a house, Sir William Sandys built Mottisfont in sixteenth century. In the twentieth century the house and garden were restored and the property was given to the National Trust in 1957.

Read More »
Red and white flowers in front of the Orangery at Mount Edgcumbe in Cornwall

Mount Edgcumbe

Torpoint, Cornwall

Mount Edgcumbe was built in 1547 but was largely destroyed by bombs during the Second World War. The garden nearest the house includes the Earl’s Garden, summerhouses, Shell Seat and knot garden and is only accessible by ticket, while the lower garden is free and very different.

Read More »
Garden building with lake at Newark Park in Gloucestershire

Newark Park

Wotton-under-Edge, Gloucestershire

Newark was built by Sir Nicholas Poyntz in 1550s and has extensive views over the Ozleworth valley. The house and gardens were restored in the twentieth century by Robert Parsons.

Read More »
Herbaceous border in the gardens at Newby Hall in Yorkshire

Newby Hall

Ripon, Yorkshire

Sir Edward Blackett bought the estate in 1689 and built the house c1695-1705 possibly to designs by Christopher Wren and also laid out the gardens. John Carr and William Belwood extended the east side c1780 while the interior was designed by Robert Adam.

Read More »
View of the lake framed by trees at Nostell Priory in Yorkshire

Nostell Priory

Wakefield, Yorkshire

After the Dissolution of the Monasteries, the Priory passed through several hands until it was bought by the Winn family in 1654; it has remained in their family ever since.

Read More »
View from Dovecot over formal garden at Nymans in Sussex

Nymans Garden

Haywards Heath, Sussex

From 1597 until the end of the seventeenth century, the land at Nymans was owned by the Gatland family who built a house on the site of the present house. Nymans passed through several hands until 1890 when Ludwig Messel bought the estate….

Read More »

Osterley Park

Middlesex, London

In 1562, Osterley was bought by Sir Thomas Gresham who rebuilt the house and developed the garden. The house passed through several hands until 1752 when, on inheriting the house from his father, Sir Francis Child commissioned Robert Adam to redesign the house.

Read More »

Overbecks

Salcombe, Devon

Albert Stumbles bought some woodland at the end of the nineteenth century and developed the land for housing. One of the first houses to be built was Sharpitor which was bought by Edric Hopkins; he created a series of terraces below the house.

Read More »
View from Terrace across green hedges to Owlpen Manor in Gloucestershire

Owlpen

Wotton-under-Edge, Gloucestershire

At the beginning of the twentieth century, the house and garden were bought by Norman Jewson who ‘saved this ancient house from ruin’. The gardens have been extended with box parterres and extensive tree planting.

Read More »

Packwood House

Lapworth, Warwickshire

The house was built in the late sixteenth century by William Fetherston. His grandson, William, was responsible for the stables and farm buildings and either he, or his son Thomas laid out the gardens.

Read More »
Bridge, Lake and Gothic Temple at Painshill Landscape Gardens

Painshill

Surrey

The eighteenth century landscape garden was created between 1738 and 1773 by the Hon. Charles Hamilton

Read More »
Gothic Exedra with formal garden at Painswick Rococo garden

Painswick

Painswick, Gloucestershire

Benjamin Hyett created the garden in 1740s to entertain his friends. Features include the Eagle House, the fish ponds, Hermitage, Gothic Alcove, Pigeon House, Plunge Pool and the Red House.

Read More »
View from Terraced Gardens to Herbaceous Border and hill beyond at Parcevall Hall Gardens in Yorkshire

Parcevall Hall Gardens

Appletreewick, Yorkshire

After the Dissolution of the Monasteries, Persevells Farm was bought by Peter Yorke whose second son, Thomas, inherited the estate in 1589. From then until the Hall was bought by Sir William Milner in 1927, the house remained virtually unaltered.

Read More »
Award-winning gardens at Parham House in Sussex

Parham

Pulborough, Sussex

At the Dissolution of the Monasteries, Parham was given to Robert Palmer whose son, Sir Thomas rebuilt the house in 1577, incorporating parts of the earlier manor house.

Read More »

Peckover House

Wisbech, Cambridgeshire

Peckover House was built in 1722 and bought by the Quaker banker, Jonathan Peckover in 1777. Alexandrina Peckover gave the house to the National Trust in 1943.

Read More »
The facade of Pencarrow in Cornwall from the garden

Pencarrow

Bodmin, Cornwall

Home to the Molesworth St Aubyn family, Pencarrow House was built in 1760s. The gardens were created in nineteenth century and include specimen trees, shrubs and conifers….

Read More »
Blue hydrangeas in the gardens of Penjerrick in Cornwall

Penjerrick

Falmouth, Cornwall

The garden was developed in the early nineteenth century by Robert Were Fox and his children.

Read More »

Penshurst

Tonbridge, Kent

Sir John de Pulteney built Penshurst in 1341 and it was then owned by the Duke of Buckingham. On his execution for treason in 1551, the estate reverted to the Crown and the following year, Edward VI gave Penshurst to the Sidney family; the site is still owned by their descendants.

Read More »
Urn with view towards Petworth House and Landscape Park designed by 'Capability' Brown

Petworth

Petworth, Sussex

In 1150, the manor of Petworth was given to Joscelin of Louvain by his sister, widow of Henry I; on his marriage to Agnes de Percy, Joscelin took her name. In 1682, Elizabeth Percy married Charles Seymour, 6th Duke of Somerset….

Read More »
view from picturesque garden at Hawkstone Follies, Shropshire

Picturesque Gardens

Picturesque Gardensfrom 1768 onwards Another style of gardening which began during the eighteenth century was the Picturesque. Edmund Burke provided a platform in A Philosophical Enquiry into the Origin of

Read More »
View along the Terrace at Polesden Lacey in Surrey

Polesden Lacey

Dorking, Surrey

The first house known to have been built at Polesden Lacey was in 1631 for the Rous family. The estate was bought by R B Sheridan in 1797 but by 1813, the house was in ruins and was rebuilt in 1820s by Joseph Bonsor….

Read More »
Sweeping valley down to the Bridge at Prior Park with Bath lit up by the sun in distance

Prior Park

Bath, Somerset

Created in the eighteenth century by Ralph Allen, Prior Park includes one of only four Palladian bridges of this design in the world. Set in a valley, the garden includes grottoes, a cascade, serpentine lake, a Gothic Temple and The Cabinet.

Read More »
Red House and garden in Kent, home of William Morris

Red House

Bexleyheath, London

William Morris commissioned Philip Webb to design a house ‘very medieval in spirit’. It was built of red bricks with a red tiled roof broken by gables, hips, valleys and ridges at different levels.

Read More »

Renishaw

Sheffield, Derbyshire

Home to the Sitwell family for nearly four hundred years, the Hall was built c1625 by George Sitwell and extended in 1793 by Joseph Badger for Sitwell Sitwell. The formal gardens were laid out in the late nineteenth century by Sir George Sitwell 4th Baronet, great-grandfather of the current owner.

Read More »
The Ionic Temple at the northern end of Rievaulx Terrace in Yorkshire

Rievaulx Terrace

Helmsley, Yorkshire

After the Dissolution of the Monasteries, the Abbey was given to Thomas Manners, Earl of Rutland. On Katherine Manner’s marriage to George Villiers, 1st Duke of Buckingham, the land passed to their son, the 2nd Duke.

Read More »
Gothic Exedra with formal garden at Painswick Rococo garden

Rococo Gardens

Rococo Gardensfrom 1720 to 1760 Popular at the same time as Arcadian gardens, the main objective of a Rococo garden (the rough rocks ‘rocaille’ and shellwork ‘coquille’) was light-hearted and

Read More »

Rode Hall

Scholar Green, Cheshire

Roger Wilbrahm bought Rode Hall in 1669 from his cousin Randle Rode. The Hall consists of two houses, the first completed in 1708 and the second in 1752; the houses were joined together in 1800s.

Read More »
Arts and Crafts garden with topiary at Rodmarton in Gloucestershire

Rodmarton

Cirencester, Gloucestershire

The house and garden were designed for the Biddulph family by Ernest Barnsley at the beginning of the twentieth century while Ernest’s brother Sidney made most of the furniture.

Read More »
Garden buildings in the landscape garden designed by William Kent at Rousham in Oxfordshire

Rousham

Bicester, Oxfordshire

Rousham was built in 1635 by Sir Robert Dormer and the house is still owned by the same family. Colonel Robert Dormer-Cottrell inherited the property in 1719 and employed Charles Bridgeman to lay out the gardens.

Read More »

Rufford Old Hall

Ormskirk, Lancashire

The timber-framed hall is all that survives from the original Rufford Old Hall which was built c1530 for Sir Robert Hesketh. In 1661, a brick wing was added with a third wing built in 1820s. In 1798, the Heskeths moved to Rufford New Hall and in 1936, Thomas Fermor-Hesketh, 1st Baron Hesketh gave the building to the National Trust.

Read More »
The ruin reflected in the lake in the picturesque gardens at Scotney Castle in Kent

Scotney Castle

Tunbridge Wells, Kent

The present Tudor-style house was designed by Anthony Salvin between 1834-35 with the fourteenth century moated castle and attached seventeenth century house, largely demolished. This ‘ruin’ became an essential part of the Picturesque landscape.

Read More »

September Gardens To Visit

September Gardens To Visit In Wiltshire If you are wondering where to visit this September, here are five gardens in Wiltshire which are open to the public: Avebury Manor: This

Read More »
Central rill flanked by cypresses leading to Persian Garden in front of Sezincote in Gloucestershire

Sezincote

Moreton-in-March, Gloucestershire

Built by Charles Cockerell in 1805 and designed by his brother Samuel Pepys Cockerell, Sezincote has been admired by many. The gardens include the Upper and Lower Thornery, the Temple to Surya, the Snake Pool, and the Paradise Garden….

Read More »

Sheffield Park

Uckfield, Sussex

Sheffield Park was owned by the De La Warr family in 1292 and passed through several hands before it was sold to John Baker Holroyd in 1769. Holroyd commissioned James Wyatt to redesign the house and Lancelot Brown to update the parkland and wood in 1776.

Read More »
View over lake at Sherborne Castle and Gardens in Gloucestershire

Sherborne Castle

Sherborne, Dorset

The formal gardens are situated near the Castle while a path round the lake leads to the Maple Garden, the Cascade, Pope’s seat, the Folly and the Clarevoire from where the New Castle can be seen over the water in one direction and the twelfth century Old Castle in the other.

Read More »

Shugborough

Stafford, Staffordshire

The estate was owned by the Bishops of Lichfield until the Dissolution of the Monasteries when it passed through several hands until it was bought by William Anson in 1624. In 1694, the manor house was demolished and a new house was built which forms part of the current house.

Read More »
View from the Tower over the Gardens at Sissinghurst Castle in Kent, created by Vita Sackville-West

Sissinghurst

Cranbrook, Kent

The Tower, Priest’s House and South Cottage are all that remain of the original Elizabethan house that was probably build Richard Baker c1560-70. In 1930, Harold Nicolson and Vita Sackville-West bought Sissinghurst and began restoring the buildings and garden….

Read More »

Sizergh Castle

Kendal, Cumbria

Standing at the gateway to the Lake District, Sizergh has been home to the Strickland family for over 700 years. The house originated as a pele tower in the fourteenth century and was extended in the sixteenth century and again in the eighteenth century.

Read More »

Sledmere Garden

Driffield, Yorkshire

The Scrope family sold Sledmere to Sir Richard Yorke in 1489 and it remained in the Yorke family until the seventeenth century when it was bought by Mark Kirkby, son of a Hull merchant.

Read More »
Well head in garden with flower beds at Snowshill in Gloucestershire

Snowshill

Broadway, Gloucestershire

The garden at Snowshill was laid out by Charles Paget Wade with the help of the architect M H Baillie Scott.

Read More »

Somerleyton

Lovingland, Suffolk

During the seventeenth century, the house and surrounding gardens were created for John Wentworth. The property was sold to Sir Thomas Allen of Lowestoft in 1669 and remained in the family until 1844 when it was sold to Sir Samuel Morton Peto, the father of Harold Peto.

Read More »

Spetchley Park

Worcester, Worcestershire

The estate was bought by Rowland Berkeley in 1606 and remains in the family today. The original moated house was set on fire after the Battle of Worcester in 1651 and was not rebuilt until 1811 to a design by John Tasker at which time the landscape was also altered.

Read More »
View over lake in the formal and semi-formal gardens at Springhead in Dorset

Springhead

Shaftesbury, Dorset

Rolf Gardiner bought Springhead in 1931 with the aim of creating self-supporting communities returning to the land. His daughter Rosalind Richards has continued his work in music and the arts and runs courses from the house; Richards has also restored the garden.

Read More »
Kitchen garden with grass path and Standen House in the background

Standen House

East Grinstead, Sussex

In 1890, James Beale bought three farms on land originally part of the Saint Hill Estate. He commissioned Philip Webb to develop one of the farms into the house, decorating the interiors with textiles from Morris and Co.

Read More »

Stanway House

Cheltenham, Gloucestershire

Stanway House is thought to have been built by Sir Paul Tracy at the beginning of the seventeenth century and enlarged by his son. The formal landscape was developed in the mid-eighteenth century and includes terracing, the Long Canal, Pyramid, Arboretum and Cascade.

Read More »

Stonor Park

Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire

The Stonor family have lived in the Park since the twelfth century with the earliest parts of the current house dating to the fourteenth century with later additions c1600. The house was part Gothicised by John Aitkin in the eighteenth century.

Read More »
The Pantheon seen from across the lake with autumn colours at Stourhead in Wiltshire

Stourhead

Mere, Wiltshire

Set away from the house, nothing prepares you for the magnificent sight of the lake and numerous garden buildings. These include the Pantheon, the Temple of Apollo, the Temple of Flora and the Grotto and plunge pool.

Read More »
Arcadian landscape with garden buildings at Stowe in Buckinghamshire

Stowe

Buckingham, Buckinghamshire

This is a garden designed on the grandest scale. The house was rebuilt after 1714 and is now run as a public school. The gardens were developed for Lord Cobham by Sir John Vanbrugh, Charles Bridgeman and William Kent….

Read More »
Franco-Dutch Garden at Westbury Court in Gloucestershire

Stuart Gardens

Stuart Gardensfrom 1600 to 1700s By the seventeenth century, knot gardens were becoming less popular with the new fashion of dividing the garden into square walled plots. John Parkinson (Paradisi

Read More »
Flower bed with central pot surrounded by flowers in front of Sudeley Castle in Gloucestershire

Sudeley Castle

Winchcombe, Gloucestershire

The Castle was damaged during the Civil War and was not restored until 1830s when it was bought by the Dent brothers who commissioned George Gilbert Scott to restore the house and chapel.

Read More »

Syon House

London

In 1547, the Duke of Somerset was given Syon Monastery and the parkland. He built a new house with raised terraces to look out over the Thames. However the terrace was misconstrued as the first stage of building fortifications, and the Duke was charged with felony and executed in 1552.

Read More »
View from the Terrace at Tatton Park with the lake beyond

Tatton

Knutsford, Cheshire

Covering over fifty acres, there is much to see at Tatton. The current house was built at the end of the eighteenth century when Humphry Repton was asked to survey the landscape.

Read More »

The Courts Garden

Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire

The house was built c.1720 by a clothier from Bradford-upon-Avon and was bought by John Davis at the end of the eighteenth century. The Courts had a cloth weaving factory at the western end of the garden which was pulled down by Davis’s grandson in 1888; the rubble was used to fill in the two mill ponds.

Read More »
The Homewood, a modernist house and garden created in 1930s

The Homewood

Esher, Surrey

Influenced by Le Corbusier’s Villa Savoye, Patrick Gwynne designed The Homewood for his family. It was finished in May 1938 and was described by his father as ‘The Temple of Costly Experience’. Gwynne lived in the house until his death in 2003.

Read More »

The Launch of Visit Gardens

The Launch of ‘Visit Gardens’ After several years work, I am delighted to introduce the Visit Gardens website. You can search for historic gardens throughout England and find all the

Read More »
View from the amphitheatre across the lake to the loggia at The Moot in Wiltshire

The Moot

Downton, Wiltshire

Built on the remains of a motte and bailey castle, the gardens were probably created at the same time as the house was remodelled in the late eighteenth century.

Read More »

The Old Warden; Shuttleworth; Swiss Garden

Biggleswade, Bedfordshire

The Swiss Garden which forms part of an earlier landscape park, was created by Robert, 3rd Lord Ongley between 1824 and 1832. Probably inspired by J B Papworth’s Hints on Ornamental Gardening, the picturesque garden includes meandering paths, lakes, follies, a Grotto, Fernery and in the middle of the garden, the Swiss Cottage.

Read More »
View from the Park of the Facade of The Vyne in Hampshire

The Vyne

Basingstoke, Hampshire

The classical portico on the north front was added in 1654 by John Webb, a pupil of Inigo Jones, for the lawyer and politician Chaloner Chute.

Read More »
The garden and gate piers at Tintinhull in Somerset

Tintinhull

Yeovil, Somerset

In 1930s, Phyllis Reiss redesigned the garden using walls and yew hedges to divide the area into ‘rooms’ in the Arts and Crafts style. The garden includes Eagle Court, Middle Garden, Fountain Garden and Pool Garden.

Read More »
The Gardens at Trebah in Cornwall

Trebah

Falmouth, Cornwall

Charles Fox, another member of the Fox Quaker family, created Trebah between 1828 and 1878. Fox filled the garden with camellias, rhododendrons, hydrangeas, Chusan palms, gunnera and bamboo.

Read More »
Acers and Hydrangeas in the gardens at Trelissick in Cornwall

Trellisick

Truro, Cornwall

A plantsman’s garden, the mid-eighteenth century park was developed by Ida and Ronald Copeland in the twentieth century….

Read More »
The Walled Garden at Trengwainton in Cornwall

Trengwainton

Penzance, Cornwall

A plant spotter’s garden, Trengwainton is noted for its collection of exotic trees and shrubs. The splendid walled garden is divided into different enclosures….

Read More »

Trentham

Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire

Formerly an Augustinian Priory, Trentham was bought by James Leveson, a wool stapler, in 1540. Over the next two hundred years, the family acquired several titles with John, Lord Gower becoming Viscount Trentham and Earl Gower in 1746.

Read More »
Privy Garden at Hampton Court Palace in London, home of Henry VIII

Tudor Gardens

Tudor Gardensfrom 1485 to 1603 Influenced by new ideas of architecture arriving from France and Italy, Richmond Palace was built c.1501 with long galleries to display sculpture and paintings, panelled

Read More »
The rose garden at Tyntesfield in Somerset with view over hills

Tyntesfield

Bristol, Somerset

The property was transformed in the nineteenth century by William Gibbs whose company had made its money from making fertilizer by imported guana from South America.

Read More »

Ugbrooke House

Newton Abbot, Devon

In 1550, Ugbrooke was sold to Sir Piers Courtenay of Powderham Castle and when Sir Pier’s widow died in 1604, the estate was inherited by their grandson, Thomas Clifford; the estate remains in the Clifford family today.

Read More »
Uppark in Sussex within an eighteenth century landscape garden designed by Humphry Repton

Uppark

Petersfield, Sussex

It is thought that William Talman designed the present house for Forde Grey c1690 when the formal gardens and rides through the woods were also laid out. Grey’s grandson made improvements to the house before selling to Matthew Fetherstonhaugh in 1746.

Read More »
Italian Garden at Lyme Park in Cheshire

Victorian Gardens

Victorian Gardensfrom 1837 to 1901​ By the Victorian era, plant collectors were travelling to new and undiscovered lands, risking their lives to collect and document exotic and unknown species. Ernest

Read More »

Visit to the Garden Museum

Visit to the Garden Museum Wonderful visit to the Garden Museum over the weekend. It occupies the site of the abandoned church of St. Mary-at-Lambeth, next to Lambeth Palace. In

Read More »

Waddesdon Manor

Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire

Baron Ferdinand de Rothschild bought the estate from the Duke of Marlborough in 1874. De Rothschild built the house in the style of a French chateau between 1874 and 1889 and created the formal and informal gardens with advice from the Parisian landscape architect Elie Laine.

Read More »
Pond with red tree on far side of water at Wakehurst Place

Wakehurst

Haywards Heath, Sussex

The house was built in 1590 by Sir Edward Culpeper and then passed through several hands until it was bought by Admiral Peyton in 1776. The estate was tenanted for a number of years with parts of the land sold off until 1869 when the remaining land and house was sold to the Dowager Duchess of …

Read More »

Wallington

Morpeth, Northumberland

Wallington Hall was built in 1688 with the cellars created from the basement of Fenwick Castle. It was remodelled by Daniel Garrett between 1735 and 1745.

Read More »

Watercolour World is Launched

Watercolour World is Launched On Thursday 31st January, 2019, Watercolour World was launched. It is a UK-based charity which is creating ‘a free online database of documentary watercolours painted before

Read More »
Landscaped Ornamental Gardens at Waterperry in Oxfordshire

Waterperry

Oxford, Oxfordshire.

In 1927, Beatrix Havergal and Avice Sanders left Downe House to establish a gardening school. They took over the lease of Waterperry House and land from Magdalen College, Oxford in 1932.

Read More »
Colourful border at West Dean gardens in Sussex

West Dean

Chichester, Sussex

John Lewkenor built a house on the site in 1622 and in 1738, West Dean was inherited by the Peachy family by marriage. In 1804, the Jacobean house was remodelled by James Wyatt….

Read More »

West Wycombe

West Wycombe, Buckinghamshire

The Dashwoods bought the manor of West Wycombe in 1698 with Sir Francis Dashwood replacing the earlier house c1710-15. Dashwood formed the notorious Hellfire Club at West Wycombe whose motto was: ‘Fais ce que tu voudrais’; it met irregularly between 1749 and 1760s.

Read More »
Canal and topiary in the Franco-Dutch garden at Westbury Court in Gloucestershire

Westbury Court

Westbury-on-Severn, Gloucestershire

Created in 1700s by Maynard Colchester, the garden is dominated by the central canal which lies between the Tall Pavilion and an iron gate beyond which is the A48.

Read More »
The facade of Wilton House in Wiltshire

Wilton

Salisbury, Wiltshire

The innovative gardens of the seventeenth century were replaced by the 9th Earl between 1733 and 1750. The parterres were grassed over and a Palladian bridge was built over the River Nadder.

Read More »

Wimpole Hall

Royston, Cambridgeshire

Thomas Chicheley built the ‘new’ house and laid out the formal gardens in 1650. Forced to sell because of financial difficulties, the estate passed through several hands until it was bought by Thomas Agar-Robartes, 6th Viscount Clifden.

Read More »

Woburn Abbey

Woburn, Bedfordshire

Founded as a Cistercian abbey in 1145, Woburn Abbey was given to the Russell family in 1547 by Edward VI. Since then, the house has gone through several transformations with Henry Flitcroft rebuilding the West Wing into the Palladian House for the 4th Duke of Bedford.

Read More »
Formal Gardens at Woolbeding House in West Sussex

Woolbeding

Midhurst, Sussex

Little remains of the Elizabethan house which was rebuilt between 1711 and 1760 by Sir Richard Mill. In 1791, the house was sold to Lord Robert Spencer, third son of the 3rd Duke of Marlborough.

Read More »
The formal gardens at Wrest Park in Bedfordshire

Wrest Park

Silsoe, Bedfordshire

Inspired by the gardens at Versailles, the outstanding formal gardens were developed from the late seventeenth to the early nineteenth century. There are a number of garden buildings including the Banqueting House by Thomas Archer….

Read More »