After the Dissolution of the Monasteries, Beningbrough was sold to John Banister who gave it to his nephew Ralph Bourchier in 1556. John Bourchier built the current house in 1716; the build was overseen by William Thornton although the architect is not known.
Forde Abbey was founded as a monastery in the twelfth century and after the Dissolution of the Monasteries was leased by the Crown to Richard Pollard. It was not lived in until it was bought in 1649 by Edmund Prideaux who later became Oliver Cromwell’s Attorney General.
Fyne Court is inextricably linked with its nineteenth century owner, Andrew Crosse. A great British eccentric, Crosse dedicated his life to Physics and used the rooms of his house as laboratories and the trees surrounding his property as part of his experiments.
The Quaker Fox family bought several gardens near the town of Falmouth in the nineteenth century. Alfred Fox bought Glendurgan in 1820s and established walks down the valley to the hamlet of Durgan and built the ponds and planted the cherry and pear orchards.
The Tower, Priest’s House and South Cottage are all that remain of the original Elizabethan house that was probably build Richard Baker c1560-70. In 1930, Harold Nicolson and Vita Sackville-West bought Sissinghurst and began restoring the buildings and garden….