Search results
  • Filter your Search

  • Clear

Ascott House

Leighton Buzzard, Buckinghamshire

The Rothschilds transformed the Jacobean farmhouse into a large half-timbered house from the end of the nineteenth century until 1930s. The gardens were laid out with advice from Sir Harry Veitch at the beginning of the twentieth century….

Read More »
Fountains in the lake in the Japanese Garden at Cliveden in Buckinghamshire

Cliveden

Taplow, Buckinghamshire

Charles Barry designed the present house in 1852 for the 2nd Duke of Sutherland. In 1893, Cliveden was bought by William Waldorf Aster who gave the estate as a wedding present to his son Waldorf on his marriage to Nancy Langhorn.

Read More »

Hughenden Manor

High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire

The present house was built towards the end of the eighteenth century and remodelled in 1862 by Edward Buckton Lamb for Benjamin Disraeli. The formal garden was designed by Disraeli’s wife, Lady Beaconsfield and has recently been restored.

Read More »
Arcadian landscape with garden buildings at Stowe in Buckinghamshire

Stowe

Buckingham, Buckinghamshire

This is a garden designed on the grandest scale. The house was rebuilt after 1714 and is now run as a public school. The gardens were developed for Lord Cobham by Sir John Vanbrugh, Charles Bridgeman and William Kent….

Read More »

Waddesdon Manor

Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire

Baron Ferdinand de Rothschild bought the estate from the Duke of Marlborough in 1874. De Rothschild built the house in the style of a French chateau between 1874 and 1889 and created the formal and informal gardens with advice from the Parisian landscape architect Elie Laine.

Read More »

West Wycombe

West Wycombe, Buckinghamshire

The Dashwoods bought the manor of West Wycombe in 1698 with Sir Francis Dashwood replacing the earlier house c1710-15. Dashwood formed the notorious Hellfire Club at West Wycombe whose motto was: ‘Fais ce que tu voudrais’; it met irregularly between 1749 and 1760s.

Read More »