The Quaker Fox family bought several gardens near the town of Falmouth in the nineteenth century. Alfred Fox bought Glendurgan in 1820s and established walks down the valley to the hamlet of Durgan and built the ponds and planted the cherry and pear orchards.
The first surviving survey of the land at Lanhydrock was carried out in 1695 and shows a series of compartments to the east, north and north-west of the house. Further money was spent on the garden in eighteenth century and again at the end of the nineteenth century.
St. Austell, Cornwall
A chance discovery in 1990s led to the restoration of the Victorian gardens and surrounding pleasure grounds and sub-tropical jungle valley garden. Originally created in seventeenth century, the gardens fell into disrepair during the two World Wars.
Mount Edgcumbe was built in 1547 but was largely destroyed by bombs during the Second World War. The garden nearest the house includes the Earl’s Garden, summerhouses, Shell Seat and knot garden and is only accessible by ticket, while the lower garden is free and very different.