Search results
  • Filter your Search

  • Clear

Brantwood

Coniston, Cumbria

Beautifully situated on the edge of Coniston Water, John Ruskin lived at Brantwood for the last twenty-eight years of his life. Ruskin held lectures at the house and filled it with paintings, pottery and sea-shells.

Read More »

Brockhole

Windermere, Cumbria

William Gaddum bought the site on the shores of Lake Windermere and commissioned Dan Gibson to design the house for use during the summer. Thomas Mawson worked closely with Gibson….

Read More »

Holker Hall

Grange-over-Sands, Cumbria

Holker Hall dates from the sixteenth century with later additions and was largely rebuilt in Jacobean style by George Webster for the 7th Duke of Devonshire. After a devastating fire in 1871, the Duke commissioned E.G. Paley and Hubert Austin to rebuild the west wing.

Read More »

Levens Hall

Kendal, Cumbria

The de Redman family owned Levens Hall from 1170 until selling it to the Bellingham family in the sixteenth century. The Bellinghams enlarged the house before losing the estate in a game of cards; it was bought by Colonel James Grahme in 1688.

Read More »

Lowther Castle

Penrith, Cumbria

The Gothic Castle was built on the site of a medieval hall by Sir Robert Smirke for 1st Earl of Lonsdale in 1806-14. It fell into ruin and was not saved until a charitable trust was formed in 2007 to consolidate the site and secure its future.

Read More »

Sizergh Castle

Kendal, Cumbria

Standing at the gateway to the Lake District, Sizergh has been home to the Strickland family for over 700 years. The house originated as a pele tower in the fourteenth century and was extended in the sixteenth century and again in the eighteenth century.

Read More »