Search results
  • Filter your Search

  • Clear
Canal pond and Emperor Fountain in the gardens of Chatsworth House in Derbyshire

Chatsworth

Bakewell, Derbyshire

Home to the Cavendish family since 1549, a ‘new’ house was built by Bess of Hardwick in 1552. She also created the garden which was further developed by Humphry Repton in the eighteenth century and again by Joseph Paxton in the nineteenth.

Read More »
View from the Terrace towards Haddon Hall in Derbyshire

Haddon Hall

Bakewell, Derbyshire

Described by Simon Jenkins as ‘the most perfect house to survive from the Middle Ages’, Haddon Hall lies a few miles from Chatsworth in the Peak District, overlooking the River Wye.

Read More »
Formal Gardens surrounding the prodigy house, Hardwick Hall in Derbyshire built by Bess of Hardwick

Hardwick Hall

Chesterfield, Derbyshire

Bess of Hardwick was one of the richest women in England, and she built the ‘new’ Hardwick Hall as a statement of her wealth and power. On her death in 1608, the estate remained in the family until it was transferred to the National Trust in 1959.

Read More »

Kedleston Hall

Derby, Derbyshire

In 1758, Sir Nathaniel Curzon commissioned Matthew Brettingham to design a new house on the site of an earlier building. Brettingham was replaced by James Paine who was superseded a year later by Robert Adam.

Read More »

Melbourne Hall

Melbourne, Derbyshire

Once owned by the Prime Minister, William Lamb, 2nd Viscount Melbourne, the house was inherited in 1692 by Thomas Coke, a gentleman architect. He laid out the gardens, with advice from George London and Henry Wise from 1704-10.

Read More »

Renishaw

Sheffield, Derbyshire

Home to the Sitwell family for nearly four hundred years, the Hall was built c1625 by George Sitwell and extended in 1793 by Joseph Badger for Sitwell Sitwell. The formal gardens were laid out in the late nineteenth century by Sir George Sitwell 4th Baronet, great-grandfather of the current owner.

Read More »