Search results
  • Filter your Search

  • Clear
Victorian Flower Garden at Arlington Court in Devon

Arlington Court

Barnstaple, Devon

The manor of Arlington was bought by John Chichester in 1384. With increased wealth, the family rebuilt the Tudor house in 1790 but with extensive structural problems, a new house was designed by Thomas Lee of Barnstaple for Colonel John Chichester.

Read More »

Buckland Abbey

Yelverton, Devon

Originally a Cistercian abbey founded in 1278 by Amicia, Countess of Devon, it remained an abbey until the Dissolution of the Monasteries. Henry VIII sold it to Sir Richard Grenville who began to convert the building into a house with the help of his son Sir Roger Grenville….

Read More »
Castle Drogo in Devon designed by Edwin Lutyens

Castle Drogo

Impressive Castle and Gardens Designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens Summary close Castle Drogo Summary The castle was designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens between 1911 and 1930

Read More »
The Millenium Garden at Castle Hill in Devon

Castle Hill Gardens

Barnstaple, Devon

In the early eighteenth century, Hugh Fortescue, 1st Baron Clinton asked Lord Burlington and the Earl of Pembroke for their advice on rebuilding a late Tudor house. Roger Morris was chosen as architect….

Read More »

Coleton Fishacre

Kingswear, Devon

The house was designed for Rupert and Lady Dorothy D’Oyle Carte in 1925 by Oswald Milne, a pupil of Sir Edwin Lutyens. Milne also designed the valley garden and it includes two terraces near the house linked by steps….

Read More »
Walled Garden at Hartland Abbey in Devon

Hartland Abbey

Bideford, Devon

Originally owned by the Augustinians, the Abbey was given by Henry VIII to William Abbot, Sergeant to the King’s Cellar in 1546. It was transformed into a house around 1600 with later additions by John Meadows in the eighteenth century….

Read More »
Formal Gardens with Urn at Killerton House in Devon

Killerton House

Exeter, Devon

The present house was designed in 1778 by John Johnson as a temporary dwelling for Sir Thomas Acland. It is not known why James Wyatt’s plans for a new house in 1779 were abandoned but as a result Johnsons’s house was kept and enlarged in 1830.

Read More »
View from Terrace over Formal Gardens at Knightshayes Court in Devon

Knightshayes Court

Tiverton, Devon

Knightshayes was bought by John Heathcote Amory, a Tiverton lace manufacturer in 1867, and he commissioned William Burges to design a new house; it was completed by 1872.

Read More »

Overbecks

Salcombe, Devon

Albert Stumbles bought some woodland at the end of the nineteenth century and developed the land for housing. One of the first houses to be built was Sharpitor which was bought by Edric Hopkins; he created a series of terraces below the house.

Read More »

Ugbrooke House

Newton Abbot, Devon

In 1550, Ugbrooke was sold to Sir Piers Courtenay of Powderham Castle and when Sir Pier’s widow died in 1604, the estate was inherited by their grandson, Thomas Clifford; the estate remains in the Clifford family today.

Read More »