Search results
  • Filter your Search

  • Clear
View from Folly over woods at Blaise Castle in Gloucestershire

Blaise Castle, Bristol

Bristol, Gloucestershire

The tri-lobe castle was built as a lookout for shipping on the River Severn. Humphry Repton was commissioned by John Scandrett Harford to produce a Red Book with three colour-coded drives up to the folly….

Read More »
Lake with shrubs and chapel reflected in water in gardens at Dyrham Park in

Dyrham Park

Bath, Gloucestershire

After his wife’s death in 1691, William Blathwayt transformed the original Tudor house and commissioned George London to design one of the greatest gardens in England.

Read More »
Pink roses in the garden at Hidcote in Gloucestershire

Hidcote

Chipping Camden, Gloucestershire

Created by Lawrence Johnston at the beginning of the twentieth century, Hidcote has a series of rooms including Mrs Winthrop’s Garden, the Old Garden, Pillar Garden, Lower Stream Garden, White Garden and the Red Border.

Read More »
Sixteenth century garden loggia at Horton Court in Gloucestershire

Horton Court

Chipping Sodbury, Gloucestershire

The house was built in about 1521 by William Knight, Chaplain and Clerk of the Closet to Henry VIII. Knight travelled widely and The Ambulatory combines the medieval form of cloister with new ideas from Italy.

Read More »
Line of trees in the gardens at Kelmscott in Gloucestershire, home of William Morris

Kelmscott

Lechlade, Gloucestershire

The Manor House was built in the late 1500s and was bought in 1871 by William Morris. The layout of the buildings provides a series of small walled gardens, unlinked and unrelated….

Read More »
Rectangular pond with stepping stones and surrounded by green hedge at Kiftsgate Gardens in Gloucestershire

Kiftsgate

Chipping Camden, Gloucestershire

Very different from its neighbour Hidcote, Kiftsgate has extensive views over the Vale of Evesham with three generations of the same family adding their own signature.

Read More »
Garden building with lake at Newark Park in Gloucestershire

Newark Park

Wotton-under-Edge, Gloucestershire

Newark was built by Sir Nicholas Poyntz in 1550s and has extensive views over the Ozleworth valley. The house and gardens were restored in the twentieth century by Robert Parsons.

Read More »
View from Terrace across green hedges to Owlpen Manor in Gloucestershire

Owlpen

Wotton-under-Edge, Gloucestershire

At the beginning of the twentieth century, the house and garden were bought by Norman Jewson who ‘saved this ancient house from ruin’. The gardens have been extended with box parterres and extensive tree planting.

Read More »
Gothic Exedra with formal garden at Painswick Rococo garden

Painswick

Painswick, Gloucestershire

Benjamin Hyett created the garden in 1740s to entertain his friends. Features include the Eagle House, the fish ponds, Hermitage, Gothic Alcove, Pigeon House, Plunge Pool and the Red House.

Read More »
Arts and Crafts garden with topiary at Rodmarton in Gloucestershire

Rodmarton

Cirencester, Gloucestershire

The house and garden were designed for the Biddulph family by Ernest Barnsley at the beginning of the twentieth century while Ernest’s brother Sidney made most of the furniture.

Read More »
Central rill flanked by cypresses leading to Persian Garden in front of Sezincote in Gloucestershire

Sezincote

Moreton-in-March, Gloucestershire

Built by Charles Cockerell in 1805 and designed by his brother Samuel Pepys Cockerell, Sezincote has been admired by many. The gardens include the Upper and Lower Thornery, the Temple to Surya, the Snake Pool, and the Paradise Garden….

Read More »
Well head in garden with flower beds at Snowshill in Gloucestershire

Snowshill

Broadway, Gloucestershire

The garden at Snowshill was laid out by Charles Paget Wade with the help of the architect M H Baillie Scott.

Read More »

Stanway House

Cheltenham, Gloucestershire

Stanway House is thought to have been built by Sir Paul Tracy at the beginning of the seventeenth century and enlarged by his son. The formal landscape was developed in the mid-eighteenth century and includes terracing, the Long Canal, Pyramid, Arboretum and Cascade.

Read More »
Flower bed with central pot surrounded by flowers in front of Sudeley Castle in Gloucestershire

Sudeley Castle

Winchcombe, Gloucestershire

The Castle was damaged during the Civil War and was not restored until 1830s when it was bought by the Dent brothers who commissioned George Gilbert Scott to restore the house and chapel.

Read More »
Canal and topiary in the Franco-Dutch garden at Westbury Court in Gloucestershire

Westbury Court

Westbury-on-Severn, Gloucestershire

Created in 1700s by Maynard Colchester, the garden is dominated by the central canal which lies between the Tall Pavilion and an iron gate beyond which is the A48.

Read More »