Robert Lyminge designed Blickling Hall for Sir Henry Hobart on the site of a medieval moated building between 1616 and 1626. The gardens were created with a banqueting house and were further developed in 1698 by Sir John Hobart, later 1st Earl of Buckingham.
Thomas Coke inherited the estate in 1707 at the age of 10. He met William Kent on his Grand Tour and on his return, began to remodel the house and garden. The design of the house by Matthew Brettingham was modified by Coke, Lord Burlington and William Kent….
During the seventeenth century, the house and surrounding gardens were created for John Wentworth. The property was sold to Sir Thomas Allen of Lowestoft in 1669 and remained in the family until 1844 when it was sold to Sir Samuel Morton Peto, the father of Harold Peto.