Built around a fifteenth century manor house, Nathaniel Lloyd commissioned Sir Edwin Lutyens to enlarge the house in 1909. Lloyd’s son Christopher, gardener and garden writer, experimented with original and exciting planting combinations. Fergus Garrett became Head Gardener in 1992 and worked alongside Christopher Lloyd until Lloyd’s death in 2006. The garden is now under the stewardship of the Great Dixter Charitable Trust.
Haywards Heath, Sussex
The house was built in 1590 by Sir Edward Culpeper and then passed through several hands until it was bought by Admiral Peyton in 1776. The estate was tenanted for a number of years with parts of the land sold off until 1869 when the remaining land and house was sold to the Dowager Duchess of …